The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Base model Torino CJ/4spd project *update*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2017 at 1:04AM
What a beautiful car
Is that still the original paint?

I think you should keep it as original as possible!
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
My website: www.chrisherbphoto.com
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2017 at 3:39AM
Originally posted by Torino_Chris Torino_Chris wrote:

What a beautiful car
Is that still the original paint?

I think you should keep it as original as possible!

Thanks and Yea thats the original paint, although I wonder if they painted it all at once when new or if they painted it in pieces, because I do notice some color variation on some panels. I don't see any sign of any sort of repaint though which makes me tend to think its simply factory mis match. I plan to basically keep it looking exactly as it is now inside and out, just swap my 351cj/4spd and other factory performance goodies onto it.

Edited by MrSmog - 28-April-2017 at 3:39AM
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2017 at 1:24PM
finally got around to start to yank parts off the red fastback, its the car that has all sorts of things chromed on it. The rear sway bar and gas tank straps were no exception thankfully. the chrome doesn't look too hot nowadays but it did protect all the parts from corrosion. Looks to have had a new gas tank put on it at some point as well as nos tail pipes, nos muffer hangers (which were also chromed), even the brake lines and brake backin plates are chrome. Most of the bushins on this car are like new and factory ford stuff. I plan to use the poly graphite stuff. Majority of bolts seem to be loose on this stuff too and most of those have been chromed as well. Not sure who had that red fastback but they were doin some serious chromin. Now to try and get all this chrome off this stuff so it can all be painted. Confused

Edited by MrSmog - 04-December-2017 at 1:25PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2017 at 5:10PM
doesn't look like they did a very good chrome job to me? idaho forest products? i hauled a couple loads out of there a few years back! Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2017 at 5:35PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

doesn't look like they did a very good chrome job to me? idaho forest products? i hauled a couple loads out of there a few years back! Shocked

car came from nashville, no idea how long ago this was all done, mid 80's I'm guessin. It probably saved all those brackets and end links though. LOL

Edited by MrSmog - 04-December-2017 at 5:37PM
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2017 at 6:26PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

finally got around to start to yank parts off the red fastback, its the car that has all sorts of things chromed on it. The rear sway bar and gas tank straps were no exception thankfully. the chrome doesn't look too hot nowadays but it did protect all the parts from corrosion.

I have the same damned problem with mine! Someone chromed the rear sway bar, hardware, the radiator brackets, and the fan pulley.
I wound up snapping one of my factory links for the bar so I'm thinking about just ordering a heavier Addco bar and calling it a day.

Edited by lynchster - 09-December-2017 at 6:27PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 1:54AM
Mine was painted bright orange, and the driveshaft was Ford Blue.
I painted the sway bar black, but the driveshaft is still blue.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 3:16PM
This stuff will all be black when i'm done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123