The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

factory valve covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: factory valve covers
    Posted: 03-April-2016 at 4:09AM
I've been looking but I can't find the thread where the original conversation took place.

I intend on using the original valve covers to cover the scorpion roller rockers. I seem to remember another one of us doing the same. 
I test fit both of mine yesterday while turning the engine over and found no interference. I remember there was some talk of needing to modify the baffles and I'm wondering why. Or it's possible I remember the thread incorrectly.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2016 at 6:03AM
They rubbed on the baffle of my boss 351 style valve covers on one head, but not the other.  I'm not sure why it effected just the one side.  Maybe it was when they machined mine for studs and guideplates.  I'm not sure if Bolt downs would have any problem. 
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2016 at 1:27PM
Thanks Tom,

I'll have to check closer but I think I'm good there, then again I'm not running the Boss 351 valve covers (aluminum?). Maybe I'll to find a way to use butyl or something to gauge the clearances. I had mine converted to studs and guide plates too so I'll post up what I find.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2016 at 5:29PM
Hello Chuck.

I have a 351c with roller rockers and factory Ford tin covers.

I did remove the baffle in each cover.

That engine is still running in a 95 Mustang GT.

I do not remember the brand of rocker, but I remember that they hit the baffles and that it was real easy to remove them.

I can take some pictures if you like, but I think removing the baffles will work, worst case, you may need to use a thick, or doubled up gasket if you have real big lift.

Either way, it should be good enough to get you up and running, it was for me.

Mike H.

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2016 at 3:17AM
Thanks Mike,

I'll have to set something up to check the side clearances of the lifters straddling the baffles. I didn't notice anything when I turned it over but that was by hand and not at 3000 rpm.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
spuninmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spuninmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2016 at 3:33AM
I removed the baffles from My stock covers and they fit fine.  the rockers were wide enough they didnt have enough space between them for the baffles.  Be very careful removing the baffles, I had a piece of the cover come off with the spot weld on one spot and had to weld it shut.

Larry, KCMO

1972 8 year long never ending uphill battle would have been better off getting that root canal Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply