The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caster and camber on 68 Cyclone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneypit68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caster and camber on 68 Cyclone
    Posted: 03-April-2016 at 2:44PM
Can anyone tell me what the front end alignment specs are for my 68 Cyclone Fastback? It has a factory 302 and 4-speed.Everything under the front end is new including upper and lower control arms,springs,and saddles.I also installed power steering and new disc brake spindles and rotors and a heavier sway bar.Any help would be appreciated.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2016 at 1:30PM
Cyclone is not listed in the 1973 edition Chiltons but the settings for 1968 Montego are;

caster 1.5* negative to .5* positive, .5* negative preferred

camber .5* negative to 1* positive, .25* positive preferred

toe 3/16" to 5/16" 

pretty whacked settings, I'd set it to positive caster, negative camber & shoot for 1/8" toe
72 GT Ute

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2016 at 2:10PM
I do alignments daily, so here's my advice....

Negative caster makes no sense, you need positive caster for caster to do what it's supposed to.

Caster is your "stability" in a sense. Less caster gives you more responsive turning, but less stability at higher speed. More caster gives you better high speed stability, but less responsiveness when turning. Caster also affect "pull", and if you have too much difference between left and right caster it can cause a drift or pull. Typically you want about .3 less caster on the left side to account for road crown.

IMO, I would shoot for about 1.5- 2.0 degrees positive caster, Zero to negative .5 camber, and about .10 positive toe.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
moneypit68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneypit68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2016 at 5:47PM
Thanks.I'll give it a try.
moneypit68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneypit68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2016 at 5:51PM
Thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply