The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429/460 DIPSTICK - Found!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429/460 DIPSTICK - Found!
    Posted: 05-May-2016 at 4:46AM
The dipstick in clark kent is too long, looking for a correct dipstick.  length from the bottom of the "bell" to the full mark is 15-1/4" and this is the measurement i am looking for.  On the one i have, it reads full at the W in Warranty.  Maybe joe can measure the one out of the wagon and get a part number off of it?
I know i can just make a mark where full is on what i have but i DO NOT want to do that. I want to install the correct dipstick.
Mike

Edited by mcford - 14-May-2016 at 4:02PM
Mike
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 8:44AM
I can try to do that this evening if I get home in time.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 9:06AM
Thanks Joe
Mike
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 9:36AM
Mike, if the part number on your dipstick is C8VE-6750-B, then it originally came from the ford factory in a 1968 Thunderbird with a 429 engine and a front sump oil pan.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 1:32PM
I've got a '76 Montego with original 460.

I was going to attach pics of my dipstick, but can't.  Does anyone know why this site won't let me attach pics larger than 999x999?  From the looks of your pics, they're much larger than that.  How'd you do that?  When I try to, it won't let me.
If you want pics of mine, send me your Email address, and I'll send them to you.  Part number on my dipstick is D5AE-6750-BA. 
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 1:47PM
i copy and paste the link from photobucket
mcford73@wowway.com
Mike
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 2:01PM
Remind me tomorrow, my D0VE-A 429 has its original stick in it still with fill lines on it 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 5:15PM
Mike, I looked in my part book supplements, They measure from the top of shield(bell) TO SAFE MARK, for #D5AZ 6750-C   15'' 13/16 ths .   75/78 MODEL LINES (A) fullsize Ford,(B) Torino/LTDII,& (S)Thunderbird. They are confusing as heck. They show several part #'s & lengths for the dipstick yet list only one TUBE assmy. part #C8SZ 6754-A. I tried to snap some pics for you. Hope they help. I'll have my Ranchero here tomorrow afternoon, & send you the # that is on my oil indicator.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 5:18PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 5:25PM
Figures,the other pics won't come up right now.The copy right police must have got me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 6:38PM
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 12:31AM
Originally posted by mcford mcford wrote:

mcford73@wowway.com

Ok.  I'll send pics tonight, after I get home from work.  Or I'll try the photobucket option.  I was trying to upload to the site.  It let's me upload to the site, but when I use the link up above to add a picture, the largest it will let me add is 999x999.  Below is a link to the pic I uploaded last night.  I don't know how to embed the picture into the post.  Also, the picture sucks, taken indoors with the flash.  I'll see if I can get better pictures outside, before it gets dark.

EDIT:  Figured out how to embed the image from our site.  See below.  I'll still get better pics this afternoon.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 06-May-2016 at 1:14AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 12:46AM

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 2:17AM
My 1972 original is 16.75" from bottom lip of the handle to the tip of the stick. Part number is D00E-6750D

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 5:29AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

mcford73@wowway.com

Ok.  I'll send pics tonight, after I get home from work.  Or I'll try the photobucket option.  I was trying to upload to the site.  It let's me upload to the site, but when I use the link up above to add a picture, the largest it will let me add is 999x999.  Below is a link to the pic I uploaded last night.  I don't know how to embed the picture into the post.  Also, the picture sucks, taken indoors with the flash.  I'll see if I can get better pictures outside, before it gets dark.

EDIT:  Figured out how to embed the image from our site.  See below.  I'll still get better pics this afternoon.

Thanks jeff.  of course, its dark where the full/add range is so its hard ot tell what the measurement is there.  lol.  Looks like what i need though.
Mike
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 5:31AM
i just copy and paste the link from photobucket ino the reply box.  i don't use any of the "insert" icons.  i just pop it right in there.
Mike
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 6:55AM

Its dark where the full/add range is so its hard ot tell what the measurement is there.

Edited by dave302 - 06-May-2016 at 7:55AM
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 8:07AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

Its dark where the full/add range is so its hard ot tell what the measurement is there.

THANKS DAVE.  Yup, 15 1/4, exactly what i need.
Mike
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 8:15AM
Your welcome

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 9:29AM
Mike just looked @ mine, it measures 15'' 13/16 from TOP of the BELL to the SAFE MARK. Engineering #D4AE 6750-AA. It must have been replaced 'cause it's a '74 eng# in a '71 DOVE block.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 1:40AM
Thanks Brian, that would be about right too as the cap is about 1/2"
Mike
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 3:59AM
I put a 7qt oil pan on my 460 transplanted into a 79 Chero. what dip stick should I use? or does larger capacity pan need a different size ? thanks
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 10:14AM
I would use the same front timing cover dipstick since I would want the "full" and "add" oil levels to remain the same, just with more capacity when using another pan.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2019 at 7:27AM
do you have one for sale ? thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2019 at 8:48AM
Hi, me again  do you have a dipstick for sale ?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2019 at 8:56AM
Just got back into town from working out of town for 3 weeks, I do not believe I have an extra dipstick, but I will check. I will get that C6 bracket sent out tomorrow or Sat, sorry for the lapse in shipping it.

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2019 at 11:31AM
ON my bucket list as well, getting another dipstick for my 460, it has the original which leaked a little in the beginning but not after I shoved some tiny o-rings into the bell. It now isn't quite accurate as to the increase in distance since the seat inside the bell where it rests against the tube is now a little diff. I know its prolly petty but I want all new stuff on this motor and again I don't know exactly how long it is I reckon ill measure that later but its a 75, original, numbers matching chero. I don't know where I read it but this car is one of only 9% of the 75s with a 460, so it's moderarely collectible. Think that came from Hagerty magazine. Speaking of which, great insurance, horrible roadside assistance. Please any answers or advice send via private messenger cause usually by the time I get back whatever posts I get are lost in the shuffle.  The Cheri is cooling down right now even though on top of all my adds and mods, PLUS its cool wintertime AND raining it still wants to run warm...
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2019 at 3:46AM
Hi aquartlow, I just was alerted to this post this morning, someone posted new new! anyways do you still have the dipstick? I will take if so, let me know how much, thanks
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2019 at 8:02AM
I do not have an extra dipstick, sorry.

Post Reply Post Reply