The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429-460 1972 gts install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramair428cjxr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429-460 1972 gts install
    Posted: 21-May-2016 at 11:13AM
Hey how's it going everybody .my 72 should be back from paint soon .Dog house will be left off for engine install .I pulled the 400 boat anchor and have had my 428cj out of my cougar more times than I can count .But have never put a 460 c-6 in a 72 ranchero . Can I install with both supercomp headers on motor ? Or is it like cougar pass only driver after engine on mounts ? Thanks in advance butch
tonym9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonym9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2016 at 11:32AM
RamAir:

Headers off until in the bay. Shave 'ears' off power steering box to make room. Pass header will fit with 460 secured, drivers requires 460 to be lifted a few inches...did this with pass side motor mount still attached. Its a giant PITA. AC box has to be off. Consider heat proofing the headers before install, they sit on top of power steering box and will cook your AC box. Crossmember will have to be notched for header/collector fit.

Hope this helps

Tony
72 GTSFB
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2016 at 11:38AM
May not fit using the crites mounts....if you have stock 460 ones it should be ok
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Ramair428cjxr7 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramair428cjxr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2016 at 2:27PM
Ok cool I do have factory mounts the headers r out getting ceramic coated as we speak Thanks for heads up .My chero does not have ac- but will get the power sterling box grinder down
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 12:20AM
IMG_0452.jpg; 
1045 x 784 (@62%)
Cutting this tab off the DS of block will help greatly with installation and removal of that header. I used self adhesive heat barrier/wrap on my Saginaw PS gear with no issues(didn't have to grind anything off the PS gear either), although there was some clearancing needed on the upper control arm mounts and I fabbed heat shields for the brake lines where the upper control arms/header tubes come close together. This was done on my '79, so there will probably be slight frame/chassis changes between the years. Just remember there is about an 3/4" of "play" on the engine mount bolts that go through the frame, this is measured from the differences between being out of level left to right(or DS to PS and vice-versa), just be mindful of the pitman arm and idler arm clearances. Good luck.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply