The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

O E Radio?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O E Radio?
    Posted: 24-May-2008 at 9:47AM
Hey guys, is this an O.E. radio? Thanks,David
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 1:06PM
It appears to be a factory Ford radio, but I don't think it is the correct one for the car.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 3:16PM
nope.  if you pull it, i bet it will be some offbrand.  i have seen a few like this.
Mike
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 5:15PM
I, too, would say that isn't a stock radio.  But it's not an off-brand, either.  If you look at the lower left of the "window", you can see "Motorola".  Philco was Ford's supplier back in those days.  Even though it's not stock, IMO it looks like it COULD be to an untrained eye.

Neat piece of equipment there...
Pat
'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 1:38AM
I've had many of these cars and thought this radio looked out of place. I guess the "camera case" look made me wonder. Did Motorola ever supply Ford or Mercury?
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 2:47AM
i have a radio similar to that, oem appearing.. but its made by audiovox. was in a 74 i bought.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 3:09AM
I forgot to mention the factory original Sparkomatic cassette player. Funny thing, they forgot to put it on the invoice! Ha Ha!
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 6:37AM
Hell, I have a toshiba 8 track unit that mounts under the dash...the thing has been kicking around my various places for 8+ years now, came with my red 1976 elite project car I was trying to fix before I got my '72.

LOL, ah, sparkomatic. the Ugo of car audio. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
zebra03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zebra03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 6:00AM
Kraco was right up there too. Kraco 8-tracks shold have come standard with a pack of matches to make them track right.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2008 at 1:02PM
How about a NOS Pioneer AM/FM/8 Track Supertuner in dash stereo?

Found it in a box of old 8 tracks I had kept from back in the day! I had purchased it for my old S&H LE but never installed it in the car. Talk about an early Christmas surprise!!

JOE

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2008 at 11:13PM
Nice find! I don't think I've ever seen one. I had a high power (?) Realistic cassette player from Radio Shack inside my Torino console back in the day. I did own a couple of LTD's and a Marquis with factory Ford AM/FM 8-Tracks, though.

Stan
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2008 at 9:35AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

How about a NOS Pioneer AM/FM/8 Track Supertuner in dash stereo?

Found it in a box of old 8 tracks I had kept from back in the day! I had purchased it for my old S&H LE but never installed it in the car. Talk about an early Christmas surprise!!

JOE

That is VERY COOL! If you can get some old 8T's that look decent, it would be great for show. And you could even run some clean 8T's through the deck, although the sound compared to today's stereos is quite bad, I bet the radio is very good though. Many of those tranisistor units of the 70's will bring in far away stations when they have a good matched antenna!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2008 at 12:06PM
Yeah, I've got several 8 tracks that were in the box that are pretty decent looking. Not too sure if I want to chance running them through the radio yet though! My Mom has an old console stereo that I think has an 8 track player in it. My take them over to her house and try a few of the better ones in that first to make sure they play, sound and operate correctly.

I also found my cassette to 8 track adapter in the box-o-tape as well! Using the 8 track adapter and a SIRIUS or XM RADIO cassette adapter in that, I can listen to satellite radio on a '70's era stereo system!!

Have also toyed with the idea of installing a dedicated satellite feed in the antenna lead (or how ever the do-hickey mounts) for those road trips to the cruise ins (if I can afford to put gas in the beast!!).

JOE

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply