The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2000 F250 7.3 alternator replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 F250 7.3 alternator replacement
    Posted: 13-June-2016 at 12:27PM
I found the service limit of a stock 2000 Ford 6G 7.3 diesel alternator=297,101 miles. I found it during a return trip between Tallahassee, Fl to Mobile, Al.(doing 3 commercial boat ramps in Al.). Battery light flickered/came on while traveling through Pensacola, drove it to Mobile and replaced it with an AZ Duralast POS(but it was my best option, FWIW). I can't complain at all, truck has been rock solid reliable(now I'll grenade the rear axle tomorrow Ouch for saying that), but I have always kept up on the maintenance of all my vehicles.   
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2016 at 3:14PM
so you're saying almost 300K for the original alternator? WOW that's good! a diesel engine itself 300K no big deal, but an alternator??? Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 4:10AM

Mine last to 240,000, ball joints are another story.Unhappy

Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 12:26PM
Service "limit" on a 2002 F150 4.2 was about 30K. miles. Like clockwork. Screeching would start, belt would throw. Couldn't hardly turn alternator by hand. Felt like a pepper mill when you did.
1991 F150 4.9... 240k. miles and the only thing changed was the starter due to the cover over the Bendix drive rusting out and the starter filling up with water. Water pump, alternator, smug pump, idler pulleys... all original. I don't think I ever even changed the serpentine belt. Gave the truck to a buddy who drove it for several more years and traded it in...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 1:15PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

so you're saying almost 300K for the original alternator? WOW that's good! a diesel engine itself 300K no big deal, but an alternator??? Shocked

Yep, always thought I would have changed it WAY before now. AZ only wanted $10 for my core, I'll save it and rebuild it myself. $220 for an alternator is a bit of a rip-off, but being out of town, I had to do what I had to do. I just changed the stock starter before my trip, not because of failure, but because I wanted a faster/more powerful starter. These trucks are just built/engineered better, I had 250K on original U-joints with about 70% of it's mileage towing a 12K gooseneck and I replaced the U-joints "just because", when I opened them up there wasn't even a wear mark where the needle bearings meet the cross journal.  

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 1:19PM
Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

Mine last to 240,000, ball joints are another story.Unhappy

Yeah, the BJ's are a hit/miss deal on these front heavy trucks. I have replaced mine 3 times, first with Spicer then Moog, now XRF's(with million mile warranty). I also did away with the vacuum 4x4 hubs, those O-rings/seals get expensive and are tricky to get "right".

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 1:26PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Service "limit" on a 2002 F150 4.2 was about 30K. miles. Like clockwork. Screeching would start, belt would throw. Couldn't hardly turn alternator by hand. Felt like a pepper mill when you did.
1991 F150 4.9... 240k. miles and the only thing changed was the starter due to the cover over the Bendix drive rusting out and the starter filling up with water. Water pump, alternator, smug pump, idler pulleys... all original. I don't think I ever even changed the serpentine belt. Gave the truck to a buddy who drove it for several more years and traded it in...

Having a truck like that "should" be the norm for what they cost nowadays, but more often than not, hearing stories of how well some hold up or how few repairs have been done is a REAL exception to the rule.
 The absolute worst vehicle we had for alternator replacement was a '90 Bronco w/ 5.0, we must have put 12 remanned Discount Auto parts units on it in 9 months, the wiring harness finally burned up and my father sold it. Those 2G alternator's were bad news. 

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 1:58PM
The real reason a lot of 80s-90s Ford alternators went bad WAS the wiring. The plug end of the alternator harnesses would start to corrode inside (resistance increase), and wires would also work-shear due to engine motion flexing wires at the plug (intermittent short). This meant the internal(ish) regulator would get sudden bursts of electricity and would eventually burn up/out unless you changed the plug and harness ends when changing regulators.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 3:41PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

The real reason a lot of 80s-90s Ford alternators went bad WAS the wiring. The plug end of the alternator harnesses would start to corrode inside (resistance increase), and wires would also work-shear due to engine motion flexing wires at the plug (intermittent short). This meant the internal(ish) regulator would get sudden bursts of electricity and would eventually burn up/out unless you changed the plug and harness ends when changing regulators.
THIS! ^^^ now the replacement alternators come with the wires permanently attached you have to solder your original wire to the short leads
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2016 at 4:36PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

Mine lasted to 240,000, ball joints are another story.Unhappy

Yeah, the BJ's are a hit/miss deal on these front heavy trucks. I have replaced mine 3 times, first with Spicer then Moog, now XRF's(with million mile warranty). I also did away with the vacuum 4x4 hubs, those O-rings/seals get expensive and are tricky to get "right".
   X2 on the XRFs Thumbs Up .   Motorcraft  1st & 2nd time (only 'cause I got employee discount)
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
 Post Reply Post Reply