The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spohn Rear Suspension - Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2017 at 2:08AM
Damn those look like quality parts! I'd sure like a first-hand report on how they feel over stock.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2017 at 6:40AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Please report back.  These are on my long term bucket list. 

What are you running for springs and shocks?

I'm running KYB Gas-adjust all around with stock springs. Going to keep it this way until I finish with the third member/suspension restoration as I like the ride and the ride height.

In this phase of the project "Gold Rush" will get a Ford Traction-lok rear diff. with 2.75 gears, Spohn upper and lower control arms, upgrading from factory 11/16" rear bar to 3/4" Police and adding Energy Suspension bushings(Thanks CJ for posting the part numbers!).

I know, the Spohn pieces deviate from my use of all Ford parts, but I could not find a way to upgrade the rear control arms without creating suspension binding.

Might take me a while to report back as I do not have the Diff. back yet and Christmas might get in the way....but we'll see!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2017 at 6:51AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

"christmas came early" i think santa's been drinkingBeer...he dropped them off at the wrong damn house!!! lolLOLWink

....And here is the note Santa put in the box......

"Cheers California Johnny,
On the way to your house, I stopped at Martini's Place for a bit of Mulled Wine. When I finally left, I was way behind schedule(HIC!), and simply pushed your package out of the sleigh as I passed over your place in California"
Merry Christmas(HIC!),
Santa"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2017 at 1:25PM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

"christmas came early" i think santa's been drinkingBeer...he dropped them off at the wrong damn house!!! lolLOLWink

....And here is the note Santa put in the box......

"Cheers California Johnny,
On the way to your house, I stopped at Martini's Place for a bit of Mulled Wine. When I finally left, I was way behind schedule(HIC!), and simply pushed your package out of the sleigh as I passed over your place in California"
Merry Christmas(HIC!),
Santa"
Confusedit figures! he's as unreliable as the rest of these shippers LOL
so santa fell off the wagon and was drinking? i thought it was his brother... dingle kringle that fell off the wagon and got the reindeer drunk???? so you need to teach the elves to fly so they can pull the sleigh in time for christmas!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2018 at 5:33AM
Just finished install of the Spohn rear upper and lower control arms (CA). I originally wanted to keep the original arms but could not find spherical bushings that would remove the binding once I boxed the lowers, so I went with Spohn. Kept the factory original springs and KYB gas shocks.

Very impressed with the massive improvement in ride, control, handling. No harshness noticed in the ride, just a new solid feel from the rear.

An added benefit is that now the rear end is better aligned with the body. Before, the rear housing was shifted over to the drivers side by about 3/8" probably due to torque and 106k miles on the old rubber bushings. Got that 3/8" back that helps with clearance for the new 15x10" wheels!

Edited by fordismyboss - 21-April-2018 at 5:35AM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12