The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car dollies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car dollies
    Posted: 05-August-2016 at 5:42AM
OK guys, surprised this hasn't already been discussed (nothing found running a search) but who has any experience with the different style car/wheel dollies out there?

When my Tomato gets back from paint (hopefully later this year!!??) I'm thinking about having it dropped at the house so I can wrap up assembly in the evenings after work. I'm hoping to be able to turn it sideways and push it to the back of the garage (need to break out the ole tape measure!) so we can still park two cars closer to the doors. I would love to get a set of the ones you position the lift arms on either side of the tire and then jack the arms together under the tires lifting the car off the ground and being able to to spin it around easily. Appears there are two styles on this type... hydraulic (leaks!) and ratcheting (being the best).

From my web research, it appears the Gojak's are at the pinnacle of the dollie world but would really damage my bank account, so I thought I would reach out to my Torino brethren and get their insights and input on what's available in the marketplace!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 12:39PM
i have some wheel dollies from harbor freight that i have a 66 charger and a 71 roadrunner sitting on, in my garage, they seem to be fine so far, no problems. i think a pair of them are about 50-60 bucks at harbor freight.
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 2:20PM
I have 2 pairs, the 1st are heavy duty Gojacks, the 2nd are lighter duty Blue point. Self jacking and work very well, but I don't use them much anymore.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 3:19PM
i think to clarify... the go-jacks will slide around the tire while it's sitting on the floor, the harbor freight dollies have to be placed under the tire by jacking it up first.

GoJak Heavy-Duty Wheel Dolly - G6313           Auto Dolly M998002 Heavy Duty Wheel Dollies, Set/4

Edited by californiajohnny - 05-August-2016 at 3:27PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 4:51PM
I have several sets from Harbor Freight . For $60 1500lb they seem to work fine , sometimes a little hard to pivit around . they also show 1250 lb ratcheting foot pedal style for $ 100 .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 6:40PM
use the Harbor Freight cheap ones to move then take them out or block the car on the frame.
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply