The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Mustang 351cj vs 73 torino 351cj hp ratin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Mustang 351cj vs 73 torino 351cj hp ratin
    Posted: 11-September-2016 at 2:49PM
I always see the 73 mustangs 351 cj rated at 266 hp and the torino was 248 hp, then in 74 they rated the 351 4v at 256 hp. Was there any real difference between the mustangs CJ and the Torino's Cj for the hp difference or was it as I suspect just a marketin ploy so not to steal any mustang sales as the two cars we're pretty similar in size etc? Was the 74 motor changed at all or was this another paper hp upgrade since the 351 4v was now only in the torino/montego/etc lineup??
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2016 at 7:33AM
When the SAE net system came in for 1972, for whatever reason, Ford rated each engine differently for each platform.  They seem to be the only manufacture that did this.  It does make some sense that there could be some slight variances in power between platforms, for example a Mustang may have a free flowing exhaust and breather versus a Torino which would effect the SAE net Horsepower rating, but would not have changed the gross HP rating.  Ford eventually dropped rating each engine by platforms after a few years, and eventually follow GM and Chrysler by giving each variation of an engine one HP rating regardless of platform.
As far as I have know there was no differences in the 351-CJ in the Torino vs the Mustang.  I doubt that the difference in exhaust would account for the difference in the horsepower rating, both systems are pretty similar.  So I am not really sure how Ford came up with these ratings.  Maybe it was a marketing thing like you are suggesting.  It's also interesting that if you compare the other 1972-73 Torino Engines to the Ford LTD/Galaxie, the fullsize Fords always have a higher rating than the Torino for the same engine.  Again, this might suggest marketing, trying to upsell the customer to the "better" fullsize car.

FWIW here are Ford HP ratings for the 351-CJ from 1971-74:

1971 (late) - 280 hp (not listed as gross or NET)
1972 - 266 hp Mustang, 248 hp Torino
1973 - 266 hp Mustang, 246 hp Torino
1974 - 255 hp (Torino)

1973 did see an increased combustion chamber size and a reduction in the valve size.  I don't think there were any significant changes for 1974.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply