The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new truck
    Posted: 27-September-2016 at 12:38PM
i am in the market for a new to me used truck and went to look at a 2011 f-150 limited with a 6.2 v8...  when i explained that i pull my car around the country from time to time and was looking for a vehicle that could do that, the salesman immediately went into his pitch for the 3.5 v6 ecoboost... said it could tow better than the 6.2

anyone have any experience with this?  can the ecoboost handle towing 5000 pounds well?

i had a 98 ford with a 4.6 and struggled to pull a trailer with a small tractor.  just looking for some feedback...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2016 at 3:15PM
just my 2 cents...for pulling 7.3 Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 2:15AM
Here is what I know from my friends experiences with the later gen Ford F150's:

6.2 is the standard engine in the Raptor. Does well moving it but unsure of longevity when towing.

5.0 is a great engine, reliable, strong, sounds great.

3.5 standard is a good engine, peppy, tows light weights well, economical.

3.5 Ecoboost. The best of all worlds except for the home mechanic. (Packaging nightmare for the do-it-yourselfer under the hood). Very powerful, tows better than the 5.0 and 3.5 standard, economical, quiet, surprises everyone. Just a great engine - if well maintained. That is a must for these engines, so if one looks iffy, keep on looking for another.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 2:48AM
Totally agree with CJ,
  Having a 7.3PSD, I am partial to going with a diesel, that said and you only tow a few times a year a diesel isn't the best match for you(cost per mile is a bit higher). If the salesman really believes in what he is telling you, show up with a loaded trailer and ask him to prove it to you, this should or will leave no doubt about your choice. My 2K 7.3 4x4 has 300K on it and has towed 8-12k lbs for about 70% of it's accrued mileage, if you never have towed any weighted trailer with a diesel give them a try before making your final decision. With a few mods that I have done(and some that add significant weight), it gets 17.5mpg empty and 13.5mpg pulling my 12K gooseneck @70-75mph in Florida(mostly flat terrain). I have to say a 3/4 or 1 ton has the needed bigger brakes and of course more robust design for towing. Malcolm, Good luck with your choice(s).

Edited by aquartlow - 28-September-2016 at 2:50AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 4:29AM
I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm about 6mos away from updating the explorer DD and I have been doing research on F250 diesel versus F150 with the 5.0.  I would only occasionally tow, so I am having a hard time justifying the F250 upcharge.  I am also looking at the Audi Q7 diesel which can tow 7000 and gets about 28mpg hwy empty which is lots better than the F250.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 7:04AM
I have a buddy who just traded an '11 F-150 with a 6.2L that he bought new.  He didn't really do any heavy towing, but anything he towed it did really well with.  He had some issues with the truck, but nothing engine/drivetrain related. My brother-in-law has an '11 F-250 with a 6.2L.  He has hauled his heavy car hauler with his bobcat and he says it does great (well over 5000lbs).  He's happy with the towing gas mileage too.  The 3/4 ton - 1 ton trucks have slightly less power in their 6.2's (IIRC 385 hp vs 411 in F-150). 
From what I have heard, the Eco-boost is great for towing, like little diesel with lots of low end and less downshifting, especially compared to the 5.0L which doesn't have a ton of low-end.  That said, everyone that I know that has one says they are a pig on fuel and I know of a few people who had issues with them.  One guy I know who's a dyed in the wool Ford truck guy had nothing good to say.  He traded it early on a new 5.0L due to all the problems he had with his Eco-boost.  Car and Driver compared an Eco-boost F-150 to a 5.0L and part of the test was towing a 6400lb trailer.  The Eco-boost was faster empty and towing, both got 16 MPG empty, but towing the 5.0L got 10MPG, the Eco 9 MPG.  They still picked the Eco-boost as the winner in their comparo.

Are you only considering Ford trucks?  Regardless, any new truck will be far better than your old 4.6L for towing.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 7:47AM
alot of good info... thanks guys..

the '98 ford with the 4.6 has been long gone... what i drive now is a 2007 f-150 with a 5.4.  ive been pretty happy with it.  it has hauled stacy lynn all over the southeast.  even does ok in the mountains.  just has alot of miles on it and sean is gonna be getting his drivers license soon and instead of buying him something, i thought i would upgrade.  and i will only buy a ford...  period...

the salesmans greatest pitch was that the ecoboost was great on gas...  im not concerned too much with that because i put well under 10k miles a year on my vehicle.  i only drive 6 miles to work. 

he has now offered to let me "borrow" one to hook up my trailer and car...  but we live in a very flat area...  so i wouldnt be able to see how it would handle on a long hill/mountain.  i told him that if i plop down 10s of thousands of dollars on a truck and it doesnt pull, im gonna be pissed
---------------------
malcolm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 7:58AM
"Instead of buying him something, i thought I would upgrade" sorry son, can't get you a car i had to buy a new truck!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 8:15AM
lol, i guess i should've elaborated...  i will buy me a new truck and pass my 07 on to him.  he really likes my truck and wants it.  would be easier than buying a pos that we know nothing about.  
---------------------
malcolm
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 10:32AM
Before you buy an "Eet-go-boom" check out the truck forums and see how they are holding up. I know a couple guys who bought them when they first came out...
They got rid of them due to "issues".
intercooler collecting water which the engine ingests - water doesn't compress.
Random loss of power/ limp-home mode.
transmission failures.
software problems in the ECU.
Rear axle failures.
They may have these things solved, but they really used the early buyers as guinea pigs/beta testers

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 2:29PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Totally agree with CJ,
  Having a 7.3PSD, I am partial to going with a diesel, that said and you only tow a few times a year a diesel isn't the best match for you(cost per mile is a bit higher). If the salesman really believes in what he is telling you, show up with a loaded trailer and ask him to prove it to you, this should or will leave no doubt about your choice. My 2K 7.3 4x4 has 300K on it and has towed 8-12k lbs for about 70% of it's accrued mileage, if you never have towed any weighted trailer with a diesel give them a try before making your final decision. With a few mods that I have done(and some that add significant weight), it gets 17.5mpg empty and 13.5mpg pulling my 12K gooseneck @70-75mph in Florida(mostly flat terrain). I have to say a 3/4 or 1 ton has the needed bigger brakes and of course more robust design for towing. Malcolm, Good luck with your choice(s).

i also have a 2000 4X4 superduty with the 7.3 psd. would you mind sharing with me what youve done to yours to improve its economy and performance?
i have just over 200k on mine with a performance booster program set on economy, but the best i get is 16 mpg empty.
any info would be appreciated.
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 3:00PM
Malcolm, please forgive me.
 First mod was installing Isspro gauges to monitor engine boost/EGT's(A MUST when running hotter than stock tunes)TS Performance 6 position flip chip, 4" turbo back exhaust w/ muffler delete, Riff-raff diesel turbo wheel, Napa 6637 air filter, CCV mod(gets rid of oil blow-by getting sucked directly into turbo), use OEM International BLACK CPS(not the blue or grey replacement), shimmed FPR to 72psi, removed/capped red waste gate hose to turbo(I can see 30psi when in 100 or 140 setting on TS chip), 6.0 intercooler, in-tank fuel mods(gets rid of fuel aeriation the stock in tank pick-up/return has) use all synthetic oils, re-torqued rocker arms and injectors, run Supertech TWC 2-cycle oil @ 100 to 1 ratio since I bought it(retightening rocker arms, injectors and using the 2 cycle oil has REALLY quieted down my 300K 7.3 with stock injectors). It is also a 6spd, which helps a bit and I travel mostly with the windows down(saves full and allows me to hear an issue before it becomes a bigger issue). Hope this helps and once again, sorry for cluttering up this thread a bit. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 28-September-2016 at 3:01PM

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 3:10PM
I'm still not sold on the little engines with the double hairdryers for large heavy vehicles doing heavy adult strength work.
It does look like the boosted 3.5 is to be the new base engine for the Expedition and Navigator. I also saw a '16 F 150 Sport with the new boosted 2.7 earlier today. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 3:23PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

I'm still not sold on the little engines with the double hairdryers for large heavy vehicles doing heavy adult strength work.
It does look like the boosted 3.5 is to be the new base engine for the Expedition and Navigator. I also saw a '16 F 150 Sport with the new boosted 2.7 earlier today. 

I agree with you on.  I keep my trucks pretty long and I just don't like all the added complexity of the turbos.   I know the Eco-boost trucks can pull better than a V8 truck.  That flat torque curve makes them very strong pullers.  Even that little 2.7 Eco Boost would probably pull better than an old 5.4.  But if I were in the market for a late model Ford pickup, the only engine I would consider would be a 5.0L Coyote.  Plus, how can you own a truck with out that V8 sound when you punch it?!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 3:30PM
I like my old ford cars and trucks, but if I were to get a year to five year old truck these days, it would be a Ram or a Gm for sure. My 200+k mile 2001 3500 dually 4x4 with a 6.0 gas gets about 15/16 mpg empty and seems to get the same haulin a avg size 3500-4500 lb vehicle on a HD 20 ft car trailer. Hard to beat those gm ls engines for reliability, fuel economy, longevity and grunt.

*On the mpg I will say most of the roads around here are 55 mph and under and I rarely drive over 60-65 mph on the hwy.

Edited by MrSmog - 28-September-2016 at 3:34PM
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 4:34PM
I have a 2001 F150 4X4 with the 5.4. Does ok but not a whole ton of power. You can feel it working with a small trailer loaded with stuff. I also have a Titan with the 5.6 which is hands-down the best tow rig I have ever owned. Now, I know it is no turbo diesel 1 ton truck, but it has hauled heavy trailers full of pipeline equipment all over the North and South and has never felt weak. Even when loaded with just stupid weight in the bed and on a 20 foot trailer loaded like Jed Clampit it hunkered down and pulled from Houston to Tennessee. Will literally run rings around the F150 and leave most 1/2 ton trucks scratching their heads at stoplights (Nismo chip, CAI, hollowed resonators, Big Tow package). However, if I were in the market for a newer truck and wanted the security of knowing I could hook up to anything and go, I would stick to a later Powerstroke (NOT a 6.0) in an F250 4x4.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 6:02PM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

lol, i guess i should've elaborated...  i will buy me a new truck and pass my 07 on to him.  he really likes my truck and wants it.  would be easier than buying a pos that we know nothing about.  
LOL malcolm, i know want you meant! i just couldn't help myself LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2016 at 6:17PM
todd: you plugged off the wastegate hose Thumbs Up i did that on my cat motor Big smileLOLWinkThumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2016 at 12:27AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

todd: you plugged off the wastegate hose Thumbs Up i did that on my cat motor Big smileLOLWinkThumbs Up

This little "trick" helps build boost a bit, instead of dumping it when needed most. Least expensive mod(FREE) I have ever done to my rig with great results. Been this way for 225K, with no adverse effects. John, bet you seen a bigger difference in power with that BIG CAT than my little 7.3 with this little trick.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2016 at 3:30AM
oh yeah! the original waste gate valve opened at 35 PSI the new one blew off at only 25, so i plugged the hose! back up to 37 PSI Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2016 at 12:31PM

This little "trick" helps build boost a bit, instead of dumping it when needed most. Least expensive mod(FREE) I have ever done to my rig with great results. Been this way for 225K, with no adverse effects. John, bet you seen a bigger difference in power with that BIG CAT than my little 7.3 with this little trick.

do you guys have any pics of this (mod) or hose and how you plugged it off?

74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2016 at 1:27PM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

do you guys have any pics of this (mod) or hose and how you plugged it off?

If you look at the turbo from the driver's side you will see the vacuum actuator(wastegate) that has the red nylon hose with black rubber end attached. Remove this red hose from the wastegate and push the black rubber end on one of the intercooler tubing hose clamp threaded rod end nearest the turbo to seal it from being a vacuum leak. These aren't my pics, they are too clear Embarrassed.
Image result for remove red hose from powerstroke turbo wastegate images

Image result for remove red hose from powerstroke turbo wastegate images

In the 1st pic you can see where they turned the valve cover vent toward the rear in order to run the vent hose(heater hose) to an oil "catch can" under the vehicle that would have a drain valve(CCV mod), this alleviates the oil from being directly sucked into the turbo, but still allows PCV so the engine seals won't fail and spew oil. From the catch can would be another heater hose that routes to the intake tubing just before the turbo(factory location).
If you look at the last pic, notice the plug next to the wastegate solenoid(circled in green), the plug takes the place of the AIH(air intake heater) which REALLY impedes airflow(once you remove the assembly you will definitely see what I mean), this is another mod I have done but forgot to mention. Hope this is helpful.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2016 at 1:51PM
Well on the big cat motors the waste gate hose runs from the compressor side of the turbo to the waste gate so it's carrying boost pressure, so i cut the smooth shank part out of a 5/16" bolt about a half inch long and shoved it up inside the hose and put the hose back on the waste gate so no one's the wiser!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply