The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the site...few questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the site...few questions
    Posted: 20-October-2016 at 11:11AM
Hi All,

I was brought home from the hospital in a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport non fastback.  I think it was called a coupe? Formal roof? Anyway, my father bought it the same time his best friend purchased his 1972 Buick GS455 convertible.  it's kind of ironic since his buddy was the Ford guy (he owned later in life a Cobra [CSX 2284]and my father was a GM guy who later owned a '67 L88 Corvette [long story] and is now the business development person at the NCRS)

My father ordered the car.  It was yellow, 400M, C6. It had the non functioning Ram Air hood. Not sure what other options but I do recall it being a floor shift and I might have hit it into N once while my mom was driving it.  My mom said it had the best radio she's ever heard. 

Anyway, after years of being driven in the Massachusetts roads the rust finally broke the frame and eventually it was sold.  I'll see if I can't find some old pictures of it. 

Does anyone have a link to a Ford order form to see what could be ordered on a 1972 Torino?

Any production break down of engines, Ram Air, CJ, etc?  I'm more of a GTO guy myself but it brings me back to happy times as a child with my brother and sister and I in the back seat going to my grandparents.

Thanks all. 
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2016 at 6:40AM
WELCOME to the site, Great story and memories.

in 72 the engine was a 400, not a 400M.
That 351M/400 came about in 1975 after the 351C stopped in 1974.
and it is still called a 400 not a 400M

As for the options... HUGE LIST!
We have seen some of the CRAZIEST combinations of options in cars over the years.
Back then it was almost as if... you want it, we can get it. Within the constraints of what they offer.
As an example... floor shift means no tilt wheel. Ford simply did not make a tilt column without the column shift. On the other side of things we have seen BASE MODEL Torinos(Not Gran Torino) with the Q-Code and a 4-spd! Crazy!

yes Ford calls it a Coupe and all references we call it a Formal Roof.
The FastBack as Ford calls it is a Sports Roof.

Functioning Ram Air systems are EXTREMELY RARE!
When someone does find one they can sell for upwards of $1000.
CJ in 72 was a 351Cleveland CJ with a 4bbl (4bbl heads are different than the 2bbl heads)
This "Q-Code" 351C-4bbl was available through 74 as well.
the 429 offered in 72 was no longer the 429 CJ of previous years, NOT a CJ.
the 351C Q-Code is the ONLY motor that came with a 4-spd.
The straight 6 and some 302 cars could be had with a 3-spd column shift.

our cars are HUGELY unknown to the hot rod world.
So many people THINK they know, but in reality, have no clue.
The Family here has a passion for our cars and are the "subject matter experts", if you will, on the 72-79 cars. You will not find a better group of people who call each other FAMILY!

WELCOME and enjoy!
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2016 at 12:04PM
Welcome!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 4:49PM
You can actually go on ebay and buy the dealer order form for the 1972 Torino. Seller by the name of Vintageautoliterature.

I just looked in his store and didn't find anything but if you are on Ebay, you can message him.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2016 at 6:17AM
Welcome Mr GTO
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
 Post Reply Post Reply