The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351W A/C Removal and Power Steering Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palidajason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W A/C Removal and Power Steering Problem
    Posted: 30-October-2016 at 11:32AM
Thanks for coming here to read my Forum topic. 

I recently acquired a 1969 Torino that had been running but had been running rough. I wanted to remove the old A/C that was rusted and shot. I was able to dismantle it all but now that I have been trying to put everything back together, I cant seem to get the power steering pump on. It is equipped with a 351W that is the stock engine. It is not modified. Do I need a different bracket to put the Power Steering pump back onto the block? It is the stock bracket, stock power steering, stock AC, stock everything. I am sure this is an easy answer but surprisngly there is very little online about this. I even tried searching for the answer through mustang forums since they use 100% identical drivetrains. Thanks everyone! I hope this reaches you all swiftly. 
Jason A.D.
palidajason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palidajason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2016 at 5:18PM
Does anyone use this site anymore?
Jason A.D.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 1:39AM
YUP,
sorry took a few days for me to get back on and approve all the new member's profiles.

Now others can see your posts.

WELCOME to the Family!

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palidajason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 2:34AM
Much appreciated! Thanks for welcoming me. Hope to speak with many of you seasoned veterans very soon.
Jason A.D.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:24AM
any chance your local branch library has a set of factory manuals?

does this look like your bracket?

Edited by Rockatansky - 06-November-2016 at 7:28AM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:40AM
Welcome! So you are removing the a/c, but keeping the p/s?
They may have different brackets or spacers???
I have a stock p/s(non a/c)bracket from my 74 351w
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palidajason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 1:49PM
That's the thing guys, I just removed the AC, went to put the power steering back on and it seemed like something was missing. Bracket looks like the one you have.
Jason A.D.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palidajason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2016 at 8:05AM
So I guess this website/forum is only looked at once a week by a moderator and the script (code) used to design this website is from the late 90's. I think someone should take the responsibility of taking over and redoing the site. I know a really good web designer. Could revive this thing. Its a cricket city in here. Simple question about power steering (that I found the answer too) and everyone seems stumped. This would have been answered in about 5 minutes had there been an active moderator, good web design and good SEO. 
Jason A.D.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2016 at 8:44AM
Actually, you have had 80-some odd views, so chances are nobody had a helpful answer. A lot of the small-block bracketry is single-year or model specific stuff, and sometimes varies from assembly plant to assembly plant.
Is your front a single large plate, or several smaller plates? The many-small-plates front drives typically overlap each other, and need to go back in a specific order, with all the parts. Leave out a bracket or put them in the wrong order and nothing lines up. Same thing applies when mixing year-to-year. 
Take some pix and post them and we will try to help, it's just hard to diagnose from a description.
I know this is frustrating, I took mine apart and it sat for a few months and I couldn't figure it out. I ended up going to a junkyard and taking pictures of the different systems assembled, and comparing with what I had.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 8:24PM
Yes, the site is old. Scott owns all of it.
He is often out of country on deployments.
I moderate it as well as 2 others.
I also saw you had a lot of views but hard to tell what the issue is when removing things like that.

I know from removing the A/C on the 84 Bronco bracketry I used I had to make a spacer to take place of the A/C bracket that sat against the block and the PS bracket then rested on that with the bolt through it all.

tough thing to figure out unless someone has actually done what you are doing on that pre 72 car.

Experience has shown me that the majority of people here will try to help but we are not guru's on the pre 72 stuff.

sorry if we did not get back in a timely manner.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 4:14AM
i have an unmolested '69 with 351W and AC I could take pics of if needed.  let me know.
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply