The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Possible source for 12inch small bearing rotors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possible source for 12inch small bearing rotors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible source for 12inch small bearing rotors
    Posted: 07-November-2016 at 3:45PM
Bored, looking on ebay for 1972 Thunderbird rotors.Window shopping, I have NO money. Cry

Found these, they are the only ones that have a diameter listed(metric), and it does convert to the 11.7 inch size for the 72 Thunderbird.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-KIT-ELINE-O-E-REPLACEMENT-Disc-Brake-Rotors-CERAMIC-Pads-R138763-/371662818203?fits=Year%3A1972%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AThunderbird&hash=item5688d48b9b:g:TREAAOSwIgNXj~fn&vxp=mtr

A question, though. These, and the other ones listed (without any diameter, but I have asked one seller) show something like 35 other models (1972 to 1969, Galaxies, Country Squires, LTDs, etc) that these would work on. Really? I thought these were 72 Tbird specific from what I have been reading here. Wondering if I have found something, or if it is just seller bs?

Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 5:13PM
hmm, just looking at the pics of it... is that the rotor you will be getting? the bolt pattern appears to be the larger 5 on 5? and they look to be the "hat style" rotors (no intrical bearing hub?)Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 5:59PM
Not sure.
I asked the seller thru Ebay if the rotor was 5x4.5 or 5x5.
I'm guessing they are 5x5 given all the other models it supposedly fits. I will post here if I get an answer.

Rock Auto is out of stock on all of the ones they have been selling. I asked to be notified when/if they are back in stock.

Probably pointless in my case, but I would like to do this swap if I ever get the money.

I wonder what the 72 Tbird owners are doing for rotors?  Might be worth my time (since all I have is time right now) to look for some Tbird forums and see.

Thanks,
Russ
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 11:23AM
I was looking into this a few (10 or so) years ago, and AutoZone said they could still get the rotors, ($90 apiece). Couldn't find the spindles at the time, so got the regular rotors.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 8:19PM
John,
The seller responded quickly that these are 5x4.5.
I think they are using generic pictures, but something else to ask about. Which I just did.
These being for the 72 TBird would probably be a miracle.

Randy, the Autozone/Rock Auto versions of the stock rotors have become pretty much extinct it seems. Not sure if they are still being produced at all now.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 08-November-2016 at 8:22PM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 9:01AM
The rotors in the eline listing are compatible with the earlier fullsize cars. the correct rotors are not.
That means their fitment list is incorrect.

Edited by Big Bird - 09-November-2016 at 9:01AM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 9:23AM

about $100. ea
     These fit the 72 TBird and will work on the Ford with Lincoln brackets

"I am completely broke and have the ability to sustain that"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 11:07AM
Got the following reply when I asked specifically if these came with integral hubs.

"

This item will fit a Ford THUNDERBIRD [1970, 1971, 1972]

Our products are based on the US Market Models only. The products are factory fitment and specifications according to year, model, and trim listed. It will fit the factory calipers. We cannot guarantee fitment for any conversion or alterations done to the original setup."

I guess not.

Hate lazy places that list parts that fit xyz models when they only fit z.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 11:09AM
Originally posted by bmf bmf wrote:

about $100. ea
     These fit the 72 TBird and will work on the Ford with Lincoln brackets

Do you know of any place that actually has those in stock and for sale?

Thanks,
Russ
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 1:01PM
those centric part #s also list as fitting pre-72 tbird, mark and fullsize. Not right.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 1:33PM
I'm starting to think that this swap isn't possible anymore, short of finding used Tbird rotors and hoping they can be turned and used.
I should have bought a couple of the new ones from Rockauto when I first heard about this while they were still available. Never thought that they would become extinct.

Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 1:49PM
I found these, listed specifically for just the 1972 Ford Thunderbird at $120 each.
If I had the cash I would at least call them to verify the fit.
https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1100&MakeName=Ford&MakeYear=1972&CategoryID=6&ProductCode=35&Router=Catalog
Oh, you have to scroll down a bit to find the listing for the 72 Bird.

Maybe there is still hope. Course I have no clue about Kanter's quality, but they have been around forever.
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 09-November-2016 at 1:50PM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 2:03PM
Unless you have the needed spindles for this conversion, you could be wasting your money(IMO) on these "fairly" vehicle specific rotors.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 2:17PM
Thing is, there's not a lot of aftermarket support for a car part for 2 low-production models (T-Bird and Mark IV, 1972) for 1 model year. Cheaper to get 5x5 big car 12' rotors and get them re-drilled. Or, use 5x5 wheels and swap rear axle shafts to 5x5 as well. No weird spindles, rotors or bearings to find/buy.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 2:51PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Thing is, there's not a lot of aftermarket support for a car part for 2 low-production models (T-Bird and Mark IV, 1972) for 1 model year. Cheaper to get 5x5 big car 12' rotors and get them re-drilled. Or, use 5x5 wheels and swap rear axle shafts to 5x5 as well. No weird spindles, rotors or bearings to find/buy.
i think i'd have to agree! and on a side note to that...74 and up the front bearings were standardized between the intermediates and the full size!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Gransport72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gransport72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 3:07PM
Napa still sells the '72 t-bird rotor Part number- NB 4885540, not cheap $189.88, but that's where I bought mine, they were a little cheaper a few year ago.
Jason
'72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 3:11PM
Regarding the spindles, some of us DO  have a 1972 car.
LOL

Napa, never thought of them. Thanks.
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2016 at 3:22PM
Napa stores don't stock them, they say you can order them though.
Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply