The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Gran Torino blower motor replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Gran Torino blower motor replacement
    Posted: 15-November-2016 at 9:52AM
I have a dumb question for the pros.  The 72 Gran Torino I picked up a few weeks ago does not have a working AC/heater blower motor.  It is an AC car, the cable is connected to the slider and all of the fuses under dash check good.  So, my assumption at this point is bad motor.  There is what looks like a electric motor housing behind the glovebox that would position the motor shaft up.  Is that where the blower motor is?  i have taken the dash top and dash pad off and have removed the glovebox.  I took all of the screws around that "bucket" that i can see or feel from to or bottom out and it will not come open.  It appears to be some kind of fiberglass housing so i dont want to go all caveman and pry it apart.
i have googled it and my shop and Chilton manuals do not tell me.  As usual, i am long winded.  lol
First question,  is that really where the blower motor is?
If so, how the hell do i get it apart without breaking the housing?

Thank you in advance.
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2016 at 12:04PM
mike, not sure if the a/c ones are the same or not but the non a/c cars there is a switch in the slider that controls the fan, mine's now acting up occasionally, but it's a non a/c controller.
 also can you get the the wire(s) on the motor? try jumping 12 volts to the motor and see if it works...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Hooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2016 at 12:24PM
yes that is the blower motor I would see if you have 12 volts and good ground. I just pulled dash out of my 73 to do restoration and it looks like that how you have to get to it but I will look again to make sure.
Hooter
Hoosiermike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2016 at 12:51PM
Thats the problem Johnny.  I cant get to the motor yet.  lol  There also should be some kind of resistor circuit somewhere to do the voltage drop for the different speeds but i have to physically find it all before i can put a meter on it.  Big smile
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
Hooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2016 at 1:03PM
Hey Mike I have the whole dashboard out of my 73 it's in henryville will be up there Friday will look at and see if that will help
Hooter
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2016 at 1:36PM
yeah i remembered that resister thing after i posted . that's why i asked if you could put power to the motor if it worked then the issue would be between it and the fuse panel, I.E. resister or micro switch thingy Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
qcode72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qcode72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2016 at 4:22AM
the wire going to motor is the orange colored wire is the positive and the black is ground. look under dash on left side of main box for heater a.c unit. the oval box is the motor. this located near rt. kick panel.
 Post Reply Post Reply