The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to refurbish the Dash Assembly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonlos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to refurbish the Dash Assembly?
    Posted: 23-November-2016 at 1:40AM
Dear Guys,
I own a 1977 Ford Ranchero GT and come from Germany. (So apologize my bad english?!)

Unfortunatly here in Germany many (used) spareparts not availible. So I have to improvising! ;)

My plan is, to refurbish the Dash Assembly - not the Dash Cover! - I mean the big plastic part - the lower section!

Over time it is getting "brittle" and "broken". So I want to fix it and give it a new paint.

So my question: Can anyone give me instructions how I can remove the complete
Dash Assembly?
Where are the screws? Any
tips and tricks?

Maybe has someone some pics for me from the removes Dash Assembly?!

Or: Can I order somewhere a refubished or new item?!

Thanx for your help! I look forward to your potings...

Best regards from Germany,
André
http://www.ford-ranchero.de
http://fb.com/FordRancheroGT

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 5:32AM
There are no new ones available.

The dash is actually fairly easy to pull as a whole.
Will take a day/weekend to pull and swap.

If your dash is brittle and breaking...
Unfortunately you are going to have to the the bullet so to speak and buy a GOOD used one and have it shipped.

Raymond McCloud on FB I think has a GOOD one. He is a stand up guy and would be more than willing to package and ship (at your cost).
BEST way to ship to Germany is ask around and find someone who knows someone on a US Military base that has an APO/AE address. That means you only pay shipping from Ray in Oklahoma to the APO/AE port in NYC. CHEAP!!
Even a German National working on post can get it shipped to his/her office APO/AE address.

Edited by Regul8r 2 - 24-November-2016 at 5:34AM
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 5:40AM
remove the gauge cluster, the pad, steering column, heater control panel, fuse box assembly from the firewall and about 4 or 5 bolts to the main body IIRC
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 6:35AM
my best dash was severely cracked & broken, i used Plastic Surgery glue to repair it

I'm not saying it's the best glue for the job or that it even works long term, i haven't checked on it lately, it's been sitting up on the roof of the car for years now. i am afraid i may have to go back and do a more thorough repair using a plastic welding technique?

72 GT Ute

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 8:11PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

remove the gauge cluster, the pad, steering column, heater control panel, fuse box assembly from the firewall and about 4 or 5 bolts to the main body IIRC

John,

Good timing. I am starting to do this.
Already have the cluster, column, and pad off from before.
By removing the heater control panel does this allow me to keep the vacuum lines connected?
Do I also need to remove the duct work?

And looking at the dash supports, are there any behind the passenger side ductwork? I need to take a closer look during daylight, but I couldn't see any, but my ductwork on the passenger side is all intact still. Driver's side is off.

I will be taking all the heat/ac stuff off, but would rather not have to do that until after the dash is out of the way.

Thanks,
Russ
tonlos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonlos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 10:48PM
Well, thx for your answers!

It seems, it not as easy as I thougt. Especially with the steering column and the heater control panel. So I have the same question as russosbourne: By removing the heater control panel does this allow me to keep the vacuum lines connected?
Must I remove the hole steering column, or only the steering wheel?

My plan is, to reinforce the big plastic item from behind with glass fiber mats.
But I'm not
convinced yet, that it works! ;)

What do you mean about this plan?!

Personal Note:
I my opinion it is
incomprehensible that no-one rebuilt this item (Dash Assembly). Because I think, that many Torino, Thunderbird and Ranchero-Owner could need this. Finally there where build over 500.000 cars from the FoMoCo. And many has the problem with the cracked & broken Dash Assembly! Maybe the FoMoCo has still the mold to rebuild it?!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 4:14AM
russ, part of my duct work was missing, but...on the controller i took the 4 screws out and let i hang, but a/c cars are probably different to some degree (duct work as well)(i'm referring to the fresh air duct work) basically look all along the bottom of the dash for anything attached to it, i think there is a brace in the center running down the the lower dash edge IIRC. the main defroster duct work has screws holding it attached to the dash at the top, the vents should be kinda a slip fit deal. you may need to take some items off for clearance or to gain access to something behind it??? leave the dash harness attached to the dash, just remove a few "extensions" door jamb wires, tail light wires, NSS wires,ETC at the dash harness.

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 4:27AM
andre, welcome!
to get the dash pad off...remove the gauge cluster bezel,then several screws holding the plastic dash to the pad both by the cluster and above the glove box area, one inward from the sides by the doors and one inward by the cluster, and one on the top passenger side near the defroster vent  in the metal part ( this one can be a problem!) once all those are out lift up on the pad, if it's all loose, slide the pad and metal up and rearwards towards you. yes the metal is connected to the pad, it just clips to the main body by the windshield.
 it should lift up easy, if not recheck for a missed screw Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:57AM
early cars had the 1 screw on each side from the sides with the door open,
they got deleted at some point fairly early on, not sure when exactly
72 GT Ute

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 6:06AM
as for the column...
you can leave the column but need to pull the wheel as the column is THROUGH the opening and the wheel will not fit as you pull it off.

BTW, WELCOME to the Family and your profile is now approved.

Edited by Regul8r 2 - 25-November-2016 at 6:13AM
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2016 at 1:47PM
John,
After looking at my car and then your picture above, it looks like you did not remove the large metal bracing/brackets from the firewall, other than the small one on the very right (passenger side)? Or am I just not seeing that brace (driver's side, big thingConfused) in your picture?

I was pretty sure it was attached to the dash in the left (not shown in my picture) but I could be wrong.

I'm feeling really stupid right now, can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing.Embarrassed

Thanks,
Russ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2016 at 1:52PM
you mean the big surface rusted brace in your pic? i took it out after the dash was out! but there may be bolts holding it underneath i don't remember
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2016 at 1:58PM
Yup, that one.
Sounds like I need to force myself to crawl under the dash. I think I am making this harder than it needs to be, but then I am good at doing that.
Thanks,
Russ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2016 at 2:19PM
basically just follow the perimeter of the dash looking for anything holding it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 5:44PM
that does not need to come out to pull the dash.
That bracket stays with the car and holds the steering column, nothing to do with the dash itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 6:34PM
Thanks.

I could have sworn I saw the dash bolted to it in one place. That's why I am having a hard time with this, I am seeing things that maybe aren't really what I think they are. I'd like to take it all out (heater and a/c and all) in as large a piece as possible, don't need 1000 parts laying around to get lost.

I'm starting to think that the rust goes up alot higher than I have thought it did. Need the firewall completely bare at this point.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 27-November-2016 at 6:35PM
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 6:13AM
Better late than never, but here is the plate installed with no dash or column to block it's view....

Hope this helps.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply