The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Differences between 4V heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Differences between 4V heads
    Posted: 05-December-2016 at 11:58AM
I have a set of big port heads o/c from 73. Looking to get rid of them. I did a little reading and they are prone to early detonation and make little power unlike the 70 or 71 etc. Are they worth anything or do I scrap them. I wouldn't want to sell them to someone who wouldn't know the difference. The question is what are they worth? And why are they such a poor design? They are all together and we're running fine when taken apart. Thanks for any help. ... Rick
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 3:21PM
I'm afraid you've fallen for the BS, and the 1973 castings are the most desirable among the Stock / Super Stock crowd. the open chambers flow better than the earlier closed chambers but do lack the easy compression ratio with flat top pistons, that can easily be remedied with small domes or the heads can be milled to near the same chamber volume as the closed chambers.

chevy heads are the best man! those you got are boat anchors but i'll pick up the shipping from your nearest Fastenal to mine, do you a favor Hahaha

really though, how much do you need for them?
72 GT Ute

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 3:22PM
72 GT Ute

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 11:09PM
Lots of good reading in there. So at the end of the day....150 or 200...is that fair... Don't want to move them again. Thanks for your help. Rick
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
 Post Reply Post Reply