Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OEM Rad Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEM Rad Paint
    Posted: 17-December-2016 at 3:17PM
Does anyone know what the OEM paint should be on a rad?  I am assuming gloss black?  There is paint left on my original rad, but it's faded and dulled over the years.  I dropped the rad off at the rad shop this week and just wanted have it painted pretty close to stock. 
45 years out of the original rad isn't bad though, still has the Ford part numbers on it.  Too bad it's only a two core stock, still works okay, but looking for more cooling capacity.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2016 at 3:21PM
as far as i know, its just your typical gloss black. i had a brand new nos radiator for my 76 torino, many moons ago and it was gloss black.

74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2016 at 4:29PM
if the radiator shop is reworking it, they usually paint it! i used car paint on one of mine a long time ago and they cussed me, said that was hard to get off LOLEmbarrassed

if you're having it redone have them recore it with a 3 row core, basically they put your tanks on a new 3 row core! i have a 2 row core in mine it works fine. i was surprised!

Edited by californiajohnny - 17-December-2016 at 4:33PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2016 at 12:56AM
Thanks guys for the input.  Sounds like gloss black is correct unless someone has any other info.

Johnny the rad shop is painting it but they asked me how to paint it. I said as factory which they said was gloss black. Just wanted to make sure that was correct. I am going to a three row high efficiency core with my original tanks. The rad builder has over 40 years in the business. He said he could have done a 4 row too but I think that's overkill.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2016 at 1:21AM
I believe Eastwood has a specific paint for radiators, may want to have a "look" at it.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2016 at 1:41AM
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2016 at 3:14AM
The factory finish should be a semi gloss black or satin black, not full gloss black. It should be a finish similar to what the wheel wells and other underhood parts are. Gloss black is too shiny and looks out of place, since nothing else under the hood is gloss black.

I've used eastwood's radiator black (satin) for many years on restorations with great results.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2016 at 4:46AM
vince Thumbs Up sounds like you got it figured out . sal's correct it should be a semi-gloss black
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2016 at 2:56PM
Okay, thanks Sal.  I will have to call the shop and have them change the paint colour then. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply