The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I have a tilt column.  The shift collar just broke
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have a tilt column. The shift collar just broke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a tilt column. The shift collar just broke
    Posted: 22-December-2016 at 2:26AM
It looks like it's part of the shift tube, as I do not see an attachment point where one ends and the other begins.  Does anybody have pics of one?  Does anybody know what other cars I would be able to pull one from?  Does anybody have one? 
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 6:23PM
The shift collar is a seperate piece. it is the entire collar with the shifter mounting point and then the sleeve that slips over the shifter column tub and is held on to the tube with 1 screw. The collar and tube are not round, they have a raised area so the screw is just there to hold it in place.

I just pulled the column out of my 76 Elite and replaced it.

Where are you located?
I might be persuaded to box it and send it. Then you can tear it down and use the few pieces you need.
I have it pretty much stripped down to that point. My tilt was not solid(it would not lock in the UP position and pull down with a little pressure.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2017 at 7:57AM
Is the collar the same for fixed and tilt?
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2017 at 8:29AM
They're different "animals".
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2017 at 7:12AM
Originally posted by Regul8r 2 Regul8r 2 wrote:

The shift collar is a seperate piece. it is the entire collar with the shifter mounting point and then the sleeve that slips over the shifter column tub and is held on to the tube with 1 screw. The collar and tube are not round, they have a raised area so the screw is just there to hold it in place.

I just pulled the column out of my 76 Elite and replaced it.

Where are you located?
I might be persuaded to box it and send it. Then you can tear it down and use the few pieces you need.
I have it pretty much stripped down to that point. My tilt was not solid(it would not lock in the UP position and pull down with a little pressure.

Lawrenceville, Ga.  Would appreciate it if you could.
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
 Post Reply Post Reply