The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lifting rearend of 72

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lifting rearend of 72
    Posted: 12-January-2004 at 1:25AM
have any of you guys lifted the rears of your torinos im playin with a few ideas so theow some more at me if you have em
As I walk throught he valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me,Thy rod and Thy piston they comfort me.
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2004 at 4:51AM
Well, if you're looking for extra tire clearance you're a lot better off getting rims with the proper offset to tuck the tires in and keep the ass end down. If it's improved stance and rake you're after, you might want to look at lowering the nose slightly. Speaking from experience, when the back end goes up in the air, the center of gravity moves forward and scary things can happen when/if you slap the brakes, because these things are nose heavy anyway. Air shocks used to be the hot ticket, but the end-results suck from a safe handling standpoint.

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
joepickett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2004 at 6:34AM

well ive never done anything in my life that was safe so why start nowthis puppy sags all the way around so i really dont want to drop it anymore in the front if at all possible and yeah the tire clearance it is an issue but so is getting in my driveway i slap the ass end trying not to scrape the front ! Iwas thinkin a set of f-150 4x4 springs in the rear or air shocks just somethin to give me a little boost (btw this car is gonna be a weekend cruiser i might get it up to 70 someday)

Thanks for the response

Joe Pickett

North Bend Wa

As I walk throught he valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me,Thy rod and Thy piston they comfort me.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2004 at 7:02AM

put a new set of factory springs in it. i boosted mine up and the car has never handled or rode right since. i have a 74 with the 351 w in her and i went with the 351 c springs in the front tooooo stiff now. and airshocks on rear same here to stiff. she sits level all around but the slightest wind and its all over the road. these cars were designed to set low to the ground.  but it your choice they look good sitting up in the rear but forget the handling afterwards

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2004 at 9:14AM
so factory springs are the hot ticket well ill give anything a shot 4 or 5 times(i dont learn to quick : )
Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2004 at 2:08AM

When I had my first 72 back in 81 I also wanted to raise the rear end a bit. I found a pair of springs in the JC Whitney catalog that when installed gave me a 2 to 3 inch lift in the rear. I think they cost around 70 dollars and I know they still sell them. They made it stiff in the back but almost anything to give lift will. Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2004 at 6:51AM
Cool thats another option i love JC Whithney
Hollow Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollow Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2004 at 4:08PM

What would couple of Ranchero rear springs do to your car? Well, I do also prefer cutting 1 or 1½ rounds off from the front springs. That worked fine in my '73 Torino. The stance is good ( well...maybe ½ rounds more could be even better? ) and the car still handles well.

Get in, sit down, shut up and hold on!
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2004 at 5:05PM
Actually, you might want to consider looking at Torino station wagon springs for the rear. As far as the front, I cut 1/2 coil off for my '74. Settled it down nicely.

Kevin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 4:38AM
but mines to low in the front as it is

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 8:40AM
i think i found what im going to do air springs from JCWhitney and gabriel hirider shocks
351CID View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351CID Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2004 at 4:41AM
I got my springs from NAPA for $100.00. They are variable rate and my car has just a little bit of "rake". A good set of gas shocks is a must!
guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2004 at 11:37PM

I can vouch for the argument of proper offset. My 72 has wide cragars in back with air shocks. For some reason, the previous owner did not inflate the shocks so the left quarter now has a vertical crease above the wheel well.

I did not know about the handling aspects of a raised rear end, but that may explain why my front tires squeal around every curve above 10 mph.

From an aesthetic perspective though, I love how it looks.

73 ranchero 500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 ranchero 500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2004 at 8:10AM
........while your on the subject, I have a 73 ranchero, 351C.  The guy before me had air shocks, but were removed, just left the lines. My truck seems to be "spongy?". Like being on a boat. It also "leans" to the drivers side. I am not sure where to start........any and all help is appreciated. Thanx,kelly  

Edited by 73 ranchero 500
This is my 68 Firebird & 73 Ranchero website. http://photo.starblvd.net/rkm1003
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2004 at 4:31PM
Nice lookin' Ranchero, Kelly! What rims are those, and what sizes are they?

Anyway, to answer your question, IMHO, the best place to start would be with new springs and shocks. The "sponginess" sounds like worn out shocks to me. I'd look for a performance based unit with as large a piston and rates as you can find. At over 4000 pounds GVW, it isn't going to hurt one bit. The sitting low to one side is probably a soft spring. A trip to the local NAPA should fix you right up.

Kevin "Dutch" Dohner
rkm1003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkm1003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 7:00PM
Thanx Dutch! I will go in that direction after I get done with my other project.....just got done putting new heads on my son's Explorer(long story, please do not ask!), and I am in the process of pulling out the motor in the Firebird to detail engine compartment, but look forward to attacking that next...... I am not sure what kind of wheels they are, I bought the Ranchero off ebay, flew to Phoenix from Corpus Christi, filled 'er up with gas, drove straight home.  Anyway, the wheels have American Racing centers, but the guy told me that they were not AR wheels, so I can't answer that ? They 15"-P225/60R front...P245/60R rear.....will let ya know how it turns out. thanx again,Kelly
 Post Reply Post Reply