The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't pull this dash wiring connector apart!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't pull this dash wiring connector apart!!
    Posted: 02-March-2017 at 3:50PM
Removing the wiring from the harnes to the back of a 7 gauge sport cluster, and I cannot get this connector to come apartAngry
The connector comes part way out after I pull open the two side clips, but then it gets hung up on something????? The little red piece moves around but does not seem to be hanging it up. With such easy access I thought I'd have this connector apart in a snap! But she won't budge!?

Thanks for reading! Your thoughts please!    

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 4:51PM
sometimes that clip can not flex enough to get it apart (they can break off easy!!) but the problem could be an internal metal connector has gotten hot and welded it's self together Cry but the red clips hold the wires in their proper location in the connector housing, they do not interfere with it coming apart
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 8:43PM
I just snapped the clips on all of mine....came apart then! But they fit together so well
You don't really need them. Little loom tape round the join for peace of mind though if you do snap them off
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2017 at 3:29AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

I just snapped the clips on all of mine....came apart then! But they fit together so well
You don't really need them. Little loom tape round the join for peace of mind though if you do snap them off

Most of mine broke also, good to know they are tight Barnaby!
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2017 at 4:04AM
I think it has something to do with the red pieces.  Pretty sure there's a picture of it in the shop manual and it says something like pull those red pieces out or slide them back to unlock connector.  I'll look in my book tonight.
Danno
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2017 at 6:41AM
Originally posted by Danno Danno wrote:

I think it has something to do with the red pieces.  Pretty sure there's a picture of it in the shop manual and it says something like pull those red pieces out or slide them back to unlock connector.  I'll look in my book tonight.

Yes, I read something like that online and tried it yesterday. That red piece moves around alright but it will not come out or push in, only slide up and down. Still the connector will not release.AngryConfused 

I'll check my manual too. I want to preserve the connector.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 12:06PM
The red clip retains the terminal into the connector. the reason you can't get it apart is because with the red clip is partial dislodged it's probably jamming the terminals. push the red clip back down into its seated position, them pull the two halves apart. the red clip cant be removed until the connector is apart. the red clip is a lock for each individual wire terminal. occasionally high current flow through connector will distort and melt the connector halves together... but you should have that concern with that connector
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 12:09PM
Also I believe you have a red clip for each connector half.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2017 at 4:06PM
I got it! The red pieces did not seem to have any locking purpose, just to keep the pin seperated inside the connector. Since it would not come apart, I gently use a vise grip on one side and gently used channel locks on the other. Wiggled and pulled and they SLOWLY came apart! Both connectors were preserved.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2017 at 4:10PM
 Clap i knew that connector looked familiar , just didn't recall where on my car i seen it.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2017 at 4:17PM
Got it off my scary fright-pig donor car '73 Montego MX with 53k miles!!!! The only thing missing on the car is the AM/FM radio and the DASH CLUSTER and WIRING! The rest is there for harvesting.Wink
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2017 at 4:40PM
hmm, just so happens  i HAVE those missing items available on my parts car ShockedWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2017 at 5:03PM
Those parts are not on my donor car because I took them off and now putting them on my GTS!Approve

The dash cluster is PRISTINE!

Saw your donor car!  Looks like a lot of good stuff left on that bad boy.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2017 at 5:35PM
i'll make you a deal! you can put that parts car back on the road LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2017 at 3:47PM
Perfect timing for your thread.
I got off early on Tuesday so I headed out to the garage to remove my cluster so I can get the steering column out. I stopped when I got to my plug because it was being a bit difficult and as luck would have it I left my reading glasses at home as well.
Everything except for the steering is painted but the end of my steering column is rust brown yet.   

Any of those parts cars have rally clusters with the inserts? The inserts don't have be anything special (could even be padded) but I need the right side for a non a/c car as well. I know a guy who has a programmable plasma cutter and I'm considering having inserts made. I might even attempt the lower portion if I can make a decent pattern for him with cut outs for the control labels.
I'm never going to get it on the road if I keep this up.   

Edited by lynchster - 10-March-2017 at 3:48PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2017 at 5:37PM
me? the parts car has a sport cluster! the bezel does have a insert that goes around the gauge holes of the bezel... is that what you mean?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2017 at 1:58AM
Like Fake woodgrain or engine turned aluminium inserts....
or the puffy/padded ones....
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 3:50PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

me? the parts car has a sport cluster! the bezel does have a insert that goes around the gauge holes of the bezel... is that what you mean?
yes
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 3:51PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Like Fake woodgrain or engine turned aluminium inserts....
or the puffy/padded ones....

Doesn't really matter. Neither does the condition of the insert itself other than they aren't bent and the one on the right is for a non ac car.

The padded ones might be a pita if I have to remove the padding to make the templates.

Edited by lynchster - 12-March-2017 at 4:03PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 6:37PM
the parts car is an A/C car, someone already spoke up about the cluster and bezel.
 are you wanting the insert to customize or a pattern to make a custom one?? i could make you a template from it if you want?

Edited by californiajohnny - 12-March-2017 at 6:37PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply