The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO:MSD 6AL Points Trigger/OEM Tach/Duraspark/HEI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO:MSD 6AL Points Trigger/OEM Tach/Duraspark/HEI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 12:49PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Todd mentions he used the TFI coil with .5 ohm resistance in his setup with an HEI module.  The HEI modules need a low resitance coil.  Coil selection seems to be very important for the module to work properly.  

Here is some comparisons on an HEI module firing different coils.  As you can see, the higher resistance coils produce much less energy.  This results were performed with a standard GM HEI 4-pin module, which limits the current to about 5.5-6.0 AMPS.  Some aftermarket HEI modules have higher current limiting of 7 amps or more.

This is a 0.5 Ohm coil.  Notice that the module hits the almost 6.0 amps, then levels off.  This is the current limiting feature in the HEI coil. 

This is a 1.5 Ohm coil.  Notice the coil takes longer to reach it's peak, and it only peaks at about 3 amps.  This is more like the power on a points ignition that has a resistor wire limiting the current.

This is a 4.0 Ohm coil.  It probably doesn't have enough power to fire a plug.

Great info showing huge differences with minute resistance changes. I examined just about every part of my ignition system, from testing distributor cap coil terminal/rotor button resistance(HUGE variances between manufacturers), magnetic pickup, testing plug wires, even spark plug resistance varied widely between resistor plugs for my application(Autolite 45, Champion RF11YC and the NGK WR5's I am currently using(least resistance). 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 4:51PM
Clap damn todd, you are our "resident mad scientist"!!! LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 11:41PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Clap damn todd, you are our "resident mad scientist"!!! LOL

Nah,
 I just get bored easily Big smile, then I get up to my eyeballs with the work involved in trying to improve things, kinda like totally remodeling an entire bathroom because of a leaky faucet Confused. I know, I know, It's a disease....err an obsession Embarrassed, but it definitely keeps things interesting LOL
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 5:16PM
I have learned a lesson today....Even if you dislike a company (in this case MSD) read the posts. It would have saved me 2-3 whole days searching the internet to  come up with what Todd described here 2 weeks ago. A side note if you have a truck Junkyardgenius.com has a great inexpensive dual battery setup.
Thanks to Todd and Vince
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2021 at 7:04AM
There's thread........LOL
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2021 at 7:10AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

There's thread........LOL

I think this thread should help you.  Todd's setup sounds pretty much exactly what you are looking for and I included his pictures and diagrams of how he set his up.  I believe he's also running a 3G conversion too.  The only difference would be the small cap you want to run, which some say might not work as well with the higher voltages of the DuraSpark HEI setup.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12