The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Assembly of a 74 Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assembly of a 74 Torino
    Posted: 22-March-2017 at 3:02PM
Anyone know how to assemble a 74 Torino and willing to do it? If interested let me know.

tom
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2017 at 4:25PM
what exactly do you have in mind? is it painted and now needs everything put back on it? or you bought a project and it came with a truck load of stuff?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2017 at 11:33PM
It was off body restored. It is 98% painted, There are a couple small piece that still need painted. But I had it at a restoration shop and they have not touched it for three years. It a huge jig saw puzzle. I just want the car finished. PI can send pic if interested.

thank Tom
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 12:40AM
If you post close-up and detailed pics, I'd bet the guys on here could help you do it yourself. I think some of these guys thrive on Torino jigsaw puzzles!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 1:41AM
where are you located?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 2:56AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

where are you located?
He is located in either Virginia or Massachusettes.
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 8:43AM
out side of boston
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2017 at 4:45PM
hell i'm clear on the other side of the country! but here's my thread:
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024.html

not close up or super detailed but enough info to get the idea! i'm sure we can help with info and advise for you....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 8:02AM
Alright let try this. Keep in mind I am not a mechanic!!!

But I am will to try anything.

Where is the best place to post and how do I upload pics?

The piece I am working on now is the wiper motor. I ordered a new motor. But the old motor was already taken out so it was disassemble. Plus the off spot in the motor was never marked. There is no power to the car. I seem to have all the pieces. I got the order I think. Once I can upload picture it will be easier to explain. Also the arm is missing the grommet that hold it to the motor. ( do you know where I can get one?

Thanks Tom
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 12:32PM
i have a 74 parts car not sure what condition the wiper stuff is in yet....
check your wiper linkage make sure the bushings are good first, most are worn sloppy i made plastic ones for mine, if that assembly is good it goes in through the long opening in the cowl first then the motor is connected to it through that same opening
 if you are doing this from your phone it can be different and most pics need to be sized smaller to upload
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 1:15PM
Not that far yet.

The the windlatch assembly is apart. I have the output arm latch, mounting bracket and output arm

Don't know how the output arm latch and mounting bracket go together, which side up or which goes first.

Tried pic again don't get it.
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 1:50PM
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 2:08PM

Also I have a gasket as shown
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 2:11PM
My son showed me how to reduce a pic.

As you can see this is what I am working with. The last pic show the control arm which needs a gasket of some type.

Thanks for your help.

I send a pic of what the car looks like.
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 2:24PM

As you see it is stripped down. I just got the AC and heater boxes in This week, yes a whole week. Well I had to do it twice.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2017 at 3:12PM
i never took that arm off of mine, but looking at the pics i think the arm just goes onto the motor shaft, i don't think a bushing or gasket goes in there? but that chrome colored sleeve thing is the bushing that connects to the wiper arm pivot the copper part is wasted that's what i made from HDPE plastic on the lathe and pressed it into the linkage arm on mine then later i made two more for the rest of them. someone on here used plastic shifter bushings for theirs (but i don't remember who or where it was at in what thread????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 2:45PM

Instead of explaining how all the parts go together, this will probably help:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2017 at 1:20AM
Now THAT is a useful diagram!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
 Post Reply Post Reply