The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Convert 72 front bushings to larger 73 bushings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convert 72 front bushings to larger 73 bushings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert 72 front bushings to larger 73 bushings?
    Posted: 27-March-2017 at 2:42PM
The front upper control arm bushings on my 72 GTS (nov 1971 build date) are failing. Since I am soon upgrading to a BBF and I have 15x8" mag 500s, 295/50 x 15 tires, and an 1-1/8" front sway bar. I plan to swap the larger upper control arms, longer alingment bar, and longer bushings from a 1973 Montego (July 1973 build date) donor car. The added weight and grip needs stronger suspension in my view. But before I jump in with both feet.....I have some reservations.

Hopefully someone has done this swap. The 73 Montego upper control arm parts are clearly larger than my 72 parts. Can I press the bushings out and in with a 12 ton shop press? Will I have an issue with ball joints on the uppers? Are the lower control arms and bushings larger too, and should I swap them? Will there be an issue when I replace the lower ball joins, as it appears the '73 are press-in?

I plan to keep my '72 spindles as I have just installed new 12" rotors from a 1972 Thunderbird and they work great. 

Will I see a marked improvement in handling?

I plan on going with the black Energy Suspension bushings as many on this site seem to use them, am I missing something?

Thanks for reading!

Found this complete MX brougham in the Nevada desert, 53k miles, sitting since 1989. 

Edited by fordismyboss - 27-March-2017 at 2:43PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2017 at 5:44PM
i did mine with a 12 ton press. with the energy suspension bushing you leave the outer shells in the arms, the poly will go in them! you may need to burn the rubber out, heat around the outer shell till it starts smoking good then press them out, then clean the shells up good, grease the poly and assemble them Wink
 did you get that whole car? you could part it out!!! looks like a lot of good parts!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2017 at 5:50PM
Leave the shells in, ok. Sounds a bit easier if the old ones come out ok. Thanks.

Yes, I brought the whole car home. Lot's of great stuff. Having a donor car is new to me, it's big fun! Just walk over and get the part you need. It happens to have some parts I need for my BBF swap. 
 Post Reply Post Reply