The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 versus 1973 Montego GT front differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 versus 1973 Montego GT front differences
    Posted: 04-April-2017 at 2:26PM
I am looking for information regarding differences between the 1973 in 1972 Montego front ends.
I want to know how difficult and what is involved on a Montego versus a Gran Torino when swapping to a different front header panel, frame horns etc.

Specifically this is pertaining to a MGT
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 3:03PM
Fenders, header panel, headlight bezels, grille, bumper, everything is different between 72 versus 73. You'll need a complete front clip from the fenders forward to do the swap, along with the frame horns. The hood is the only thing interchangeable, and that's only if you do some work on the latch area.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 3:16PM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Fenders, header panel, headlight bezels, grille, bumper, everything is different between 72 versus 73. You'll need a complete front clip from the fenders forward to do the swap, along with the frame horns. The hood is the only thing interchangeable, and that's only if you do some work on the latch area.

What he said!! If you really study the two frt ends you will see the differences. The 73 is much flatter in the turn signals. The grille is flatter and doesn't stick out as far. Not as noticeable is the headlight spacing is different between the two years.

Tim
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 3:41PM
Ok so it's basically just like the 72 vs 73 torino.
Had a call today about an MGT and while not sure yet looking to go after this certain unicorn.
Up in the air but I really want a '72.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2017 at 12:36AM

Yep, pretty much, with exception of the hood.  I don't think the hoods are even interchangeable on the Torino. 

If you're saying you've got a lead on a '73, I MIGHT be willing to trade my '72 front clip for your '73 front clip (if you get it).  Only if your '73 front clip is in similar condition to my '72 front clip.  No bondo, no rust, nice chrome, etc.  I've even got the '72 frame horns.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2017 at 6:29AM
If any one has a nice spare left front wheel opening molding for a Montego GT I'll pay good money for it.
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 5:49AM
I have a complete front clip for a 1973 Montego MX for sale on CL in NorCal. If interested I'll post the link.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 6:03AM
I'd rather have you guys pm directly or post specific ads to keep the thread from getting a bit off topic.

Jeff, been meaning to call. Got around 40 pictures of that MGT.
Looks to be a very solid car.
My issue is right now I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed on things, especial considering no garage space.
I want to get that MGT but having a hard time justifying it with lack of storage and money frankly right now.
Tom is willing to deal on it but I'm not sure at this point my wife is sold on bringing another wreck home to save.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 10:48AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I'd rather have you guys pm directly or post specific ads to keep the thread from getting a bit off topic.

Jeff, been meaning to call. Got around 40 pictures of that MGT.
Looks to be a very solid car.
My issue is right now I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed on things, especial considering no garage space.
I want to get that MGT but having a hard time justifying it with lack of storage and money frankly right now.
Tom is willing to deal on it but I'm not sure at this point my wife is sold on bringing another wreck home to save.

It is much easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission!!
 Post Reply Post Reply