The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapedeck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebowskigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapedeck
    Posted: 14-January-2004 at 9:17AM
I need to find a tapedeck for my newly aquired 1973 Ford Gran Torino 4dr.  It currently has an AM radio with one speaker.  Does anyone know if it is possible to put a tapedeck in it and where I can find one. 
joepickett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepickett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 10:20AM
they didnt make a stock one but if you dont mind hacking up your dash your local car audio shop should be able to hook you up
As I walk throught he valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me,Thy rod and Thy piston they comfort me.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 4:23AM

A standard configuration radio assembly with the tuning and volume knobs to the right an left will fit without any hacking, but the more modern style CD players, etc will require a larger hole to be cut. Crutchfiels (and others) often have mount kits which will provide a wiring connector and the necessary back bracket which will properly mount to the rear hole and the upper ash tray assembly for various stereo configurations.

I would also suggest 6x9 inch speaker in the back and depending on door panel style you can mount 5 1/4 inch speakers in the front.

Regards,

Scott Eklund

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GTSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 6:12PM
I have a '72/'73 style Ford AM/FM 8 track stereo system which I will sell. It will fit the stock dash layout and is a plug-in installation. You can add an 8 track/cassette adapter (for about $10.00 to $15.00) which inserts into the 8 track player like an 8 track cartridge and allows you to also play cassette tapes ( I have several of these adapters available).  You can add a second speaker to the rear parcel shelf or better yet, add two speakers in the parcel shelf and one more in each front door. These are easy installations because the parcel shelf is accessible from the trunk and has the speaker openings already punched out and the door panels are also usually ready for the speakers in the stock, factory locations.The plastic grills on the doors are often in place already but if they are not they are readily available from several used Ford parts suppliers in all the factory colors and are cheap. This sound system is a relatively inexpensive, easy (mostly plug-in) installation in the stock radio and speaker locations using factory Ford pieces and will give a nice period correct look (not to mention the endless conversation about the 8 track tapes). The 8 track tape cartridges are widely available (ebay, internet, fleamarkets, yard sales, retro music shops, etc) and in most cases cost less than $1.00 each!   
 Post Reply Post Reply