The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

installing edelbrock rpm intake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: installing edelbrock rpm intake
    Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:28PM
Greetings everyone,

I was hoping someone may shed some light on a problem I am having with my 351w.  I am in the process of  replacing the stock intake manifold with the edelbrock rpm performer.  It seems the edelbrock manifold is too wide and will not fit.  The cylinder heads were milled, but the original intake manifold fits just fine.  I measured the width of the manifolds and the edelbrock measures 11 1/8" while the original manifold measures a hair under 11".  Is this common for the edelbrocks to run wide or did I just get a bad one?  Do most aftermarket intake manifolds run wide?  I'm debating on whether to get the intake manifold milled or just buy another one.  Thanks for your help!

-Pete
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:36PM
It might be possible that when they milled your cylinder heads, they also milled your original intake manifold to match/fit onto your milled heads. I have never heard of an edelbrock or any aftermarket intake manifold that is too wide. You might have to have the edelbrock intake manifold milled to match your heads.
What is the part number on your edelbrock intake manifold? What year is your 351w engine?
pmaenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:47PM
I  forgot to mention, I replaced the original cylinder heads with the milled ones.  So the original intake manifold fit on the original heads and the new milled heads.  The original intake manifold has not been milled.

-Pete
pmaenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:48PM
its a 1974 351w, and the edelbrock part number is 7181.

-Pete
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:49PM
Is there a provision for the thermostat housing on the edelbrock intake manifold?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:53PM
That is definitely the correct edelbrock intake manifold that you are using.
pmaenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 4:58PM
Should it be that wide though?  its over 1/8" wider than the stock manifold
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 5:03PM
I have always heard that the 7181 should be a direct fit for your engine. There should not be any milling needed to fit it onto your engine. I do not have a 7181 here to measure to see if yours is wider than another 7181.
pmaenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 5:30PM
Thanks for your help and insight Dave.  If anyone could measure a 7181 for me or knows if it should be that wide, I'd appreciate it.  If the edelbrocks are wide, does anyone know if the weiand intakes are closer to stock size?  Thanks!

-Pete
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 5:39PM
Your welcome.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2017 at 5:57PM
weird! depends how much were the heads milled, but if your stock one fit the edelbrock should too. 74 was the last year of the 351w having 16 bolts for the intake manifold 75 and later went to only 12 bolts but they interchange as far as i know i too have a 74 with a 351w wanting to keep all 16 bolts i went with the offenhauser manifold 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
pmaenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 3:55AM
Hi!

It is a 12-bolt manifold, but all the holes line up.  I'm waiting to hear back from the machine shop on a cost estimate to mill the edelbrock.  Has anyone measured the weiand stealth intake?  Does it run big too or closer to stock?
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 9:33AM
If its the right manifold and the bolt holes line up it'll fit.....

Theres no need to mill the manifold until you hit about 5thou skim in which case rule of thumb is remove about 6thou, there is a formula though.....

Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 10:17AM
Just because it's wider doesn't mean much. May be nothing more than casting differences in irrelevant areas. Do the bolts fit in? does it sit where it's supposed to on the heads?
If the top of the port area is thicker or the manifold is a little taller, the top face may be wider without any consequence.
Measure the bottom from side to side along where it rides the china wall front and rear
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
pmaenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmaenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 10:43AM
Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for the insight, bottom measures the same on both.  I just got down speaking with the local machinist and also with edelbrock.  Both of them said that aftermarket intakes are usually a bit thicker, and the difference isn't noticed if you are using aftermarket heads.  Both of them recommended shaving down the corner of the sides a hair so it will sit properly.  
   At the shop, we put the edelbrock manifold on a 351w he was working on and it fit just fine, but it also had edelbrock heads on it too.  He put a set of calipers on both my intakes, and the edelbrock was about 0.2" wider.
   So, it seems if you are using an aftermarket intake with stock heads, there might be a little work to make it fit.  I probably could have grinded down the corners myself, but I was feeling lazy and the machinist gave me a good price.
  Thanks everyone for the advice!

-Pete
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 12:15PM
Shouldn't need to grind them, unless they are interfering with the valve covers.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 7:01PM
now that i'm thinking about this... when i put the offy malifold on my engine it didn't look right by the ends of the heads but i think it's the way the aftermarket manifolds are cast, it fit fine and all sealed correctly
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2017 at 8:20AM
Never shaved an eddy manifold on anything I've bought one for be it Ford, Mopar, Rover or Chevy....just fit it
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
 Post Reply Post Reply