The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolant Level on Reservoir - How much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant Level on Reservoir - How much?
    Posted: 05-June-2017 at 3:03AM
Hi everyone, I'm a novice, so I'm hoping to get some insight here. I have a 72 GTS, with the 351 Cleveland. I was out on Saturday for a two hour ride with air temps around 80 degrees. I got into some traffic and noticed that the temp gauge moved rather quickly from it's normal perch near C to about 3/4 of the way to H. Once the traffic subsided and I was moving again, it went back down to the normal level. I got home and took a photo of the reservoir about 5 minutes after parking. Please see the attached; it's right at the "cold" line - should the fluid be near the "hot" line on the reservoir since I had just been driving it? The next day, I look at the level after the car sat for the night and the fluid was then about 3/4" below the cold line. Does this sound typical? Or, do I need to add some 50/50 solution to the reservoir? Note, I checked for leaks and see no evidence of anything. Also, I tried to remove the radiator cap when the car was cold, and couldn't get it off. It turned, but wouldn't lift off, and I didn't want to force it - is there a trick to doing this? I was going to see if the coolant reached the top while the car was cold. Either way, I'm still not sure how much coolant should be in the reservoir when the engine is hot or cold, and what fill lines I should be adhering to. Thanks in advance.
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 3:52AM
I think with the coolant radiator cap, some you have to push down while twisting, or twist it then push down....kinda like those medicine bottles from the pharmacy that are supposed to be child proof, but really are only adult proof. It should lift right off. As far as the coolant level in the bottle, I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable on this forum! Have you changed the thermostat lately? That'll be one of the first things to replace if you are over-heating.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 4:03AM
My radiator 79 ltd2 states water level about 2in below cap.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 2:14PM

Most '72's (maybe all) left the factory without an overflow.  They had a marking on the rad tank for the full cold.  You just filled the rad to the cold mark, and checked it every so often, refilling it when it got low.

Have you checked the rad level when cold?  When using an overflow, make sure the rad is full when cold, and then fill the overflow to the cold mark.  After driving the car, it should return to the same levels once it's cold again. If gets lower, you're losing coolant somewhere.

If you are heating up in traffic, I'd check the condition of your rad.  Has it ever been re-cored?  Thermostat is an easy cheap fix too.  If you have an infared gun, check the actual temperature of the engine when hot.  My gauge sending unit went bad last year and the gauge wasn't reading correct anymore. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 11:48PM
Radiator cap will turn to a stop, then you have to push down and turn some more. This is to minimize people who pop off a cap and get scalded by boiling coolant escaping when the pressure  is released.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply