The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel remover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel remover
    Posted: 15-June-2017 at 9:12AM
Hi everyone... does anyone knows how standard are the removing steering wheel tools? For example, can I just buy this: Removing tool ebay

I have a 75 gran torino and, for some reason, the turning lights are not working, I checked the fuse box and I think is just a "mechanical thing" So I want to remove the steering wheel....

THank you!
The owls are not what they seem
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 9:14AM
I used one from summit, think it was $15 or so.....worked fine
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 9:45AM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 11:10AM
I have used this one from HF, works good and will give you options like pulling harmonic balancer or in my case an outboard flywheel.
Pittsburgh® Automotive 62620 Bolt-Type Wheel Puller Set
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
AgentCooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 11:13AM
Thank you all, but Im from Chile so the only choice is buy on internet with international shipping...
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 4:42PM
any of those should work fine! just screw in the 2 bolts and tighten the center threaded part of the puller if it don't just pop loose smack the end of the threaded part with a hammer... retighten smack again if needed Wink
 do the emergency flashers work? check the flasher units too
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 4:48PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

any of those should work fine! just screw in the 2 bolts and tighten the center threaded part of the puller if it don't just pop loose smack the end of the threaded part with a hammer... retighten smack again if needed Wink
 do the emergency flashers work? check the flasher units too

The emergency flashers work... that is the strange thing. I dont know if it is a fuse, but in the fuse box I interchanged the grey tubes and nothing change....its suppose that one is for emergency flashers and the other for the signal, but because nothing change, I think is a mechanical thing....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 5:20PM
so you swapped the flashers? that should rule out a bad flasher then!
 how about the brake lights? both work? if you move the turn lever and hit the brake lights does that side go off? same for the other side? good possibility it could be in the plastic indicator unit...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 5:29PM
I have the same one from HF. Works great.

In the past, I removed the wheels off my cars with brute strength. Not recommended, but it is free:

Turn the steering wheel straight (center bar horizontal. Loosen the wheel nut until it is on by 4 threads, plant both feet on the floorpan by the firewall and start yanking back and forth (left, right, left, right, left, right) on the steering wheel until the wheel pops off. By leaving the nut on 4 threads, you avoid a broken nose when the wheel breaks loose. I know this from experience. Again, not the best alternative, but it is free and fast.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2017 at 6:30PM
Ummm...

'Agent Cooper' as in Twin Peaks Agent Cooper???

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2017 at 1:10AM
Also have a kit from Harbor Freight works just fine and get plenty of use. Just make sure you pull evenly and use the correct size and fine thread bolts. Fords use fine thread GM used course.
Mach1000
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2017 at 5:34AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

In the past, I removed the wheels off my cars with brute strength. Not recommended, but it is free:

You must be really strong.  Wink

I've used this method at the Pull A Part.  I used a hammer to tap on the center shaft while pulling on the wheel at the same time.  Couple of taps, and the wheel usually comes right off.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2017 at 5:42AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I have used this one from HF, works good and will give you options like pulling harmonic balancer or in my case an outboard flywheel.

I need to get me one of these.  You don't happen to have a link or part number?  Searching on their site, all I find is this one, but I like the one that you show better.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2017 at 5:44AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2017 at 11:41AM
Ok, I could get off the steering wheel.

The brake lights works fine, when I press the brake with the hazzard lights working, the lights keeps on...

Now I dont know what to do...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 10:39AM
Connecting manually (with a cable) some parts in the picture, I could get the right and left flashing turning lights. The problem is that when I move the stick, it does not work... anyone could help?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 11:06AM
ok when you jumped it manually...one of those wires was the same to make the other side flash! that one is the common wire from the flasher when you step on the brakes power goes through the brake light switch into the turn mechanism to both sides, when you move it to the left side it will break contact with the left and flow up through the flasher to that side leaving the brake to work on the right side, and opposite for moving the lever to the right breaks contact and starts the flasher for the right leaving the left brake to work, make sense?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 3:06PM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

Ummm...

'Agent Cooper' as in Twin Peaks Agent Cooper???

Yes... Damn good coffee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 3:18PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

ok when you jumped it manually...one of those wires was the same to make the other side flash! that one is the common wire from the flasher when you step on the brakes power goes through the brake light switch into the turn mechanism to both sides, when you move it to the left side it will break contact with the left and flow up through the flasher to that side leaving the brake to work on the right side, and opposite for moving the lever to the right breaks contact and starts the flasher for the right leaving the left brake to work, make sense?

Yes, that is what I thought... unfortunately I cant do that work with the stick. I tried to remove this entire part but the cables are too short and I cant get it out. The strange thing is that it was working and suddenly stop working. I put this liquid that clean the circuits and also did some pressed this part while moving the stick and nothing...

If I made it work manually, there is no chance that a fuse or other part is malfunctioning? I mean, now I have to suppose that is 100% mechanical thing and try to solve it there?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:03PM
when you say working it manually with the stick... do you mean if you move the lever each time you can make it flash by moving the lever? that would indicate a bad flasher

now if jumping the wires at the connector make the lights flash like they should... that would indicate something bad in the switch below the steering wheel
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:06PM
Nothing happend with the stick, only work jumping with cable. So I think is like you said... the moving part, that should connect, the copper parts, is not doing the job...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:09PM
just a quick thought... is the hazard flasher switch off? i ask because on one of my other cars i added sequential flashers from a 65 t-bird and couldn't use my hazard flashers so i removed the knob,  my turn signals suddenly stopped working, so i moved the lever manually for several months not knowing what the hell failed, well unbeknownst to me my step brother had somehow pulled the hazards switch on which screwed everything up Angry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:13PM
Yes, the hazzard flasher is turn off... The problem should be under the plastic part. The problem is that it does not have a screw, it has a "rive" ( I dont know if it is the correct word)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:14PM
yeah that's what it's starting to look like the switch...they do sometimes fail
 not sure how you get the switch out on these cars? the GM cars of this era you fold the wires tight 90* to the connector and slide it up through. but i haven't taken one of these columns apart yet... i plan to here soon just haven't got a chance to mess with a torino column yet!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:16PM
rivet
yes i saw that... looks cheap to me Confused the lever unscrews from the side and the switch is one whole unit with the wires and connector
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:17PM
Thank you... I will see what can I do...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 4:19PM
you do need to remove the lower plastic coller on the column but the rest as far as removing the switch i don't know yet...
someone else on here should know how to get it out
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2018 at 6:47AM
I'm chiming in on this, forgive me asI have been catching up on older threads.

IN your situation, there are two flasher units on the fuse panel.
One for turn signals.
another for the hazard flashers.

Could be a bad flasher unit.

Other issue may be the turn signal switch assembly and the copper contacts that connect to the slip rings on the back of the steering wheel.

I would check the hazard flasher element and see if that resolves the issue. Try ebay or Rockauto.com

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2018 at 6:52AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I have a similar kit like this from Sears, specific for pulling Harmonic Balancers but I've used it for pulling steering wheels as well. I really like the box this comes in!!
May have to invest in it.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply