The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carsteering QR steering box feedback needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carsteering QR steering box feedback needed
    Posted: 06-July-2017 at 2:57PM
Anyone install the carsteering 82-00394-QR quick-ratio steering box?

http://www.carsteering.com/partview/Ford/Torino/Power_Steering_Gear_Box/82~00394_QR.html

My search of this board has found no users yet! Have found users of the Lares Ford QR units and the Saginaw QR rebuilds.

The carsteering Ford part is stated as 10:1 ratio with a 2.5 lock to lock on the '72 Torino. I think this is what I want!!??

The Lares QR is a stated 12.7:1 ratio and a 3.5 Lock to lock.

My car is currently 16:1 ratio and 4.2 lock to lock.

Hope we have a user or two that can comment on carsteering!!! Thanks!

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2017 at 11:44PM

Is your steering gear box currently a Ford or Saginaw unit?

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2017 at 3:13AM
Ford, and I do not have a Saginaw core, so my plan is to stick with ford for now.....

I've read your good posts on this subject and looked into the sag idea but don't want to find a core, then have to change the coupling and the hoses.....but?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2017 at 5:31AM
Robert,
 I asked due to the Ford box's limited options. What I mean in that statement, I have found no steering ratio options like with a Saginaw box, unless the aftermarket has manufactured these parts. A lot of lock-to-lock changes came with the differences in the pitman arm and/or travel distance of the front steering linkage, not the box internals(from what I have found and/or researched). I for one, would be interested to see a 12.7-1 ratio Ford box, more so with a 10-1 ratio box. Just a heads-up, a 12.7-1 ratio can make our "robust" vehicles feel twitchy with even the slightest input, can't imagine what a 10-1 ratio steering box would feel like in an intermediate. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2017 at 3:23AM
Thanks for this input. My stock for unit is a 16 to 1 ratio. What ratio are you running in your Saginaw,and do you like it? Perhaps I should try the Lares 841 which is the 12.7 to 1 ratio unit?

My Pitman, idler, and linkage is all factory original. 1972 GTS.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2017 at 12:04PM
I installed '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7-1 ratio internals into my '79 Ranchero's stock Saginaw power steering box. I can tell you it is a night and day difference between my stock/standard ratio(IIRC, 17.5-1), almost to the point of being too responsive when I first drove it after the swap. The swap needed NO machining and used a rebuild/reseal kit for the '79 box, I simply kept the input rotary valve(to keep the steering coupler spline count) and the rest was the JGC parts. I already had my Saginaw box, I went to a U-pull-it yard for the Jeep box($35) and then $35 for the Gates #350350 rebuild kit. The Jeep box has the same output shaft size and spline count, blind spline location and the very same travel sweep in degrees(87 degrees) as my '79 Ranchero box. This is important due to some internal parts swaps have more or less travel sweep degrees. Hope this helps.

Edited by aquartlow - 08-July-2017 at 12:07PM

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 1:15PM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Anyone install the carsteering 82-00394-QR quick-ratio steering box?

http://www.carsteering.com/partview/Ford/Torino/Power_Steering_Gear_Box/82~00394_QR.html

My search of this board has found no users yet! Have found users of the Lares Ford QR units and the Saginaw QR rebuilds.

The carsteering Ford part is stated as 10:1 ratio with a 2.5 lock to lock on the '72 Torino. I think this is what I want!!??

The Lares QR is a stated 12.7:1 ratio and a 3.5 Lock to lock.

My car is currently 16:1 ratio and 4.2 lock to lock.

Hope we have a user or two that can comment on carsteering!!! Thanks!

There is a lot of misinformation about steering boxes out there.  The stock steering boxes are about 4 turns lock to lock when not installed.  Once installed, they were (according to original Ford documents) about 3.5 turns lock to lock.  The overall ratio of a stock steering system is 21.7:1.  This is not the steering box ratio, rather the box ratio and the steering linkage ratio.  The steering linkage slows the steering down to a slower ratio beyond the box.  The Ford Torino Handling book claim the OEM steering boxes are actually 17:1 ratio, but I have nothing to verify that.

The Lares QR has been listed on this site as 3.5 turns lock to lock, which I would imagine is the steering box uninstalled.  If that's the case, it's 1/2 a turn better than stock.  None of these boxes are even close to 12.7:1 that many of us have installed with Saginaw swaps. 

Like Todd, I did a Saginaw swap, with a 12.7:1 ratio, high effort box.  My car is now about 2.5 turns lock to lock.  It made a huge difference.  Although when I first had the box built it was over-boosted (almost like stock) and I found the car a little twitchy.  Since I had it changed to high effort, it has no twitchiness and much better road feel.

Based on all this, I don't think that your ratios you have listed are correct.  How do you know that box you have listed is 10:1?  I checked the link and don't see any specs on it.  I'd suspect that Ford box would be similar to a Lares QR (maybe even built by Lares).  Lares is the only QR Ford box I have ever seen.  You might be better off to stick with Lares, since several have used it here with success.

A lot of people seem hesitant on the Saginaw swap.  It's not hard, and many builders will supply a core (just say it's for a '71 Mustang).   All you need is a coupler and a P/S hose, both of which can be easily ordered.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 1:52PM
Totally agree with you Vince. My Ford shop manual states that the Ford box has a 17-1 ratio and a Saginaw box has a 17.5-1 ratio, wonder if the pitman arms are a little different since the "stops" for the linkage travel on the lower control arms are the same.
  Since I also use a Saginaw PS pump for my application, I had to have my pressure hose made locally(of course my ride having hydro-boost played a role in this as well), believe it or not Ford NEVER installed a Saginaw PS pump on their vehicles that had a Saginaw steering gear box(at the very least I have NEVER found an example or evidence of the Saginaw pair factory installed in any 70's era Ford/Lincoln/Mercury intermediate or full size car).
I definitely like the "road feel" my hybrid PS box gives, would do the swap again in a heartbeat. It was one of those "why the H*** didn't I do this sooner" moments.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2017 at 3:04AM
I called Carsteering and the guy I talked to actually said he was not sure what the internal gear ratio was on thier QR unit! He said he thought it was 10-11:1, so I just listed 10:1 as their stated QR gear ratio. I was stunned when he said "all you need to know is our QR unit is 2.5 lock to lock"!

Also called Lares to get their product info and ratios.

To measure my stock Ford box internal gear ratio, I put a degree wheel on the case at the output shaft, marked both the input and output shafts, then turned the input shaft three complete revolutions and then divided the output shaft travel result by three. Then divided 360 by the result giving me approx 16-1. it's not exact, but close.  

Based on this input, I will order the Lares 841 QR unit and report back. First thing I'll do is put a degree wheel on it and see what it says!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!  
 Post Reply Post Reply