The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C Bolt on junkyard serpentine belt system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C Bolt on junkyard serpentine belt system?
    Posted: 28-July-2017 at 4:14PM
Hoping that someone here as done this on a 351C.

I am looking for a preferably complete system from a junkyard I can bolt on. I have P/S, A/C, plus the alternator.
The idler pulley would be good, but I can live with having to still adjust the belts the old fashioned way. I am also hoping to keep the drive ratios as close to stock as possible.

There was a thread here from a few years ago, but I don't know if the person ever fully finished what he was doing and road tested it. http://forum.grantorinosport.org/junkyard-serpentine-pulley-setup_topic10566.html In that thread was a link to a post on the vmf mustang site where there was also talk about an old (over 12 years at least by now) thread on the 351C forum. I have read that one, but it is formatted so that following it is very hard for me, plus the pictures are long gone.

I know there are aftermarket choices, but those are out of my budget, both money and bling. Way too much bling. And they only work with the Saginaw pump and Sanden compressors. Both of which I DON'T have and don't want to go out and buy just for this.

Thanks,
Russ
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2017 at 6:06PM
info here, many don't use P/S but it's a start. 5.0 from 1980's comes up a lot. the hard to follow formatting on the new forum is from the transfer from the old forum, it takes a lot of editing so Blizz just let it fly
http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/search?searchterm=serpentine&sort=match
72 GT Ute

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2017 at 11:50AM
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Been doing lots of reading there, but not finding what I had hoped for.

Problem is I was hoping to find exact instructions on how to do this, like I had found back a few years ago on a Pontiac forum, where a guy showed how to do this on a Pontiac from A to Z, along with part numbers/exact year and model of source vehicles for the parts.
From what I have read on the C forum it sounds like no one has done a car with all the accessories I want to use.  I was hoping someone here had done this, but maybe not.

Might just have to wait until I can buy a conversion kit from CVFRacing http://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-351C-351M-400-Serpentine-System-AC-p/351c-serpentine-ac.htm or something. But that will require changing some parts and is a two belt system.  Or wait and see how much the belt slips on the 3G 130 amp alternator and see if it really is a problem. That is the main reason for this, but having just one belt would be good as well.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 29-July-2017 at 11:52AM
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 7:54PM
BTW, I hope I didn't come across wrong. While I was hoping someone may have already done this, I wasn't really expecting that. Just hoping.
If I can get to the point of doing this myself and find a workable solution I will post it on the forum. But don't hold your breath. LOL
Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply