The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ranchero gas tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ranchero gas tanks
    Posted: 06-August-2017 at 6:22PM
quick question... will a 72 ranchero tank swap with a 79 ranchero tank?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2017 at 10:26PM
A '72 tank will swap into a '79, but the '79 tanks are 26 gallon tanks and the '72 tanks are something like 23 to 24 gallon tanks. So the '79 tanks use longer tank straps than the '72.

The '79 tanks might also use a different sending unit than a '72. There is also a possibility that some of the '79 tank vent parts might also be slightly different than a '72 tank vent parts.

The '79 gas filler tube/neck might be the same or very similar to the '72 gas filler tube/neck.

Edited by dave302 - 07-August-2017 at 12:23AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 12:11AM
A 72 torino has a smaller 21 or 22 gallon gas tank than a 74 to 76 torino which have a 23 to 24 gallon gas tank. But you can install a larger 74 to 76 (23 to 24) gallon torino gas tank onto a 72 torino by installing the longer 74 to 76 gas tank straps onto it, or you can use longer than original carriage bolts on it with the 72 straps.
But I do not know if you can use the longer carriage bolts to install a 79 ranchero gas tank onto a 72 ranchero by using the 72 straps on the 79 tank.

Edited by dave302 - 07-August-2017 at 12:13AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 12:21AM
So they can be swapped but you might have to use a 72 sending unit with a 72 gas tank, and you might have to use a 79 sending unit with a 79 gas tank or you might not get an accurate reading on your gas gage.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 12:21AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 12:52PM
the late tank uses a rubber grommet mounted vent on top of the tank where the 72 has a twist lock same as the sender. you need the grommet and the vent

i used my original sender in the late tank, the center of the tank is about the same depth but doesn't taper upwards to the rear like the 72 tank. the added capacity is in the squared off rear of the tank

i did use new correct for the tank straps but I'm pretty sure if you re-shape the contours and use longer carriage bolts you can get away with using the original straps

BUT I've recently learned that Ford used special carriage bolts on the Crown Vics that are intended to snap off the extra length after installation, there's no length at all below the nut to prevent puncture in a rear end collision so IDK if you'd want to go that route?

what's the chance?

also plan on 1/2" ? filler breather hose, filler grommet and vent line (1/4"-5/16"? i doubt it's 3/8")

i did a short piece of hose then a small engine fuel filter to stop bugs and more hose to the side of the tank, just kinda hangin out IIRC

Haha i also found a pinhole in the metal line coming out of the sender, right at the top of where the old hose ended and would hold a drop of water. i just made sure the new rubber hose covered the hole for now LOL

Edited by Rockatansky - 07-August-2017 at 12:56PM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 2:48PM
ok here's the deal... i'm working on a 79 ranch for a guy i work with, his tank has a tiny pin hole i noticed seeping, i was going to just patch it with fiberglass but now i can't find where it was at Confused BTW he's a cheap SOB but i have a 72 tank under that parts ranch! wondered if the complete 72 tank would work in the 79 with the 72 sender??? i've spent way too much time on this POS as it is
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 3:08PM
complete tank with straps is a direct swap AFAIK

still, expect all the rubber to be junk, filler breather hose, filler grommet, vent hose to metal if that's still intact

depending upon vapor return you might want to swap the sender too (keep it original to the car)

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 3:10PM
after you do this he's got a mech for life & it's all your fault Shocked
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 4:04PM
oh no... he had his 21 year old son and his buddies put the motor in, sh*t not hooked up stuff hacked things broken.... Angry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2017 at 11:57PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

ok here's the deal... i'm working on a 79 ranch for a guy i work with, his tank has a tiny pin hole i noticed seeping, i was going to just patch it with fiberglass but now i can't find where it was at Confused BTW he's a cheap SOB but i have a 72 tank under that parts ranch! wondered if the complete 72 tank would work in the 79 with the 72 sender??? i've spent way too much time on this POS as it is

Hand that "cheap SOB" a lighter and tell him to find that darn leak, problem solved and no more time wasted on that POS. LOL Just a thought. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Zohurr View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zohurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2019 at 1:24AM
Wagon tanks are indeed hard to find. I have been looking for one for quite awhile. The tank I have works but has a dent in the bottom that reduces the capacity ~4 gal. I did find another on eBay that was about the same. 
Search templates (CTRL+Space)
< ="search" ="qt-dropdown-search" value="" placeholder="Search templates...">
< ="g-new-template">New Template
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2019 at 5:36PM
what wagon tank you looking for Zohurr.the torino tanks are not the same as montego wagon tanks.i no because im looking for a montego tank.i have a torino and it dont fit. just a FYI......  

Edited by torinojon - 14-January-2019 at 5:41PM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2019 at 2:49PM
I'd like to find a good wagon tank. I have a couple of Ranchero tanks and '72 Torino tanks.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply