The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Like I don't already have more than I can do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Like I don't already have more than I can do
    Posted: 13-August-2017 at 9:39AM
Sort of just thinking out loud, but feel free to jump in with any thoughts. It helps me to write stuff out, easier to think about when I can read it.

In addition to the Ranchero, I also have a 74 Pinto wagon project and an 89 Mustang LX 2.3 with an auto sitting around. I had bought the Mustang a year and a half ago purely as a cheap backup car but have not been able to get it together enough to emissions test and register it. Frankly I just don't like it enough to want to work on it. It really is time for that car to go away. It's sitting out front in the driveway and I keep expecting the zoning people to ding me for it.
I don't have the title in my name thanks to the stupid AZ laws that changed a couple of years ago saying you can't transfer a title to a car without also registering it at the same time. I didn't know that and filled in the back of the title with my information. To get a salvage title I was told I have to take the car to an inspection place at the DMV for them to see it is not a running car and that would require towing. Not happening. We've been paying insurance on it thinking it would be on the road soon, but just cancelled that (saving about $50 a month we can't afford to spend on nothing).

The Mustang was supposed to be for my wife, but with her back problems she can't really get into or out of it. Too low. So is the Ranchero, which we bought originally for her but it has too much power and size and scares her. Our main driver is a Subaru Forester, she needs something about that high. So none of the cars I have will really work for her. I want to have one of these (at least) be ready for me to drive if I ever get another job so she can keep the Subaru home for when she needs a car.

I am not a fan of the foxbodied cars. I want a 69 Mustang, but the 89 does nothing at all for me. Unhappy I had hoped it would satisfy that desire but it doesn't. Between driving the Mustang or the Pinto it isn't even close. I'd much rather drive the Pinto. Much cooler car to me. Foxbodies are everywhere, you don't see too many Pintos on the road.

That leads me to this thought.

The Pinto needs a drivetrain. I have an 8inch rear for it already. I wanted (still want to) put a 351C into it, but that isn't going to happen anytime in the next 10 years the rate my finances are going.Cry  It also needs wiring. I had reworked the Pinto wiring, but the Ranchero came along and to save money I took most of what I had modified for the Ranchero.

Can you see where this is going?Shocked

I want to tear a car apart. It would help me with my depression. Really. I enjoy taking stuff apart. I am trying very hard not to take the Ranchero apart. The Pinto is already down to the shell pretty much except for doors and glass.

I'm thinking engine, trans, A/C, radiator, power seats (from a 97 Mustang), complete wiring harness, computer, exhaust, maybe a couple of other smallish things. . While I would be tempted to put a carb on the 2.3L, fact is that EFI is just better for what I need and since I have it I would be an idiot to not use it. In fact that is my thinking on the whole thing. I was going to just scrap the Mustang, maybe get a couple of hundred for it. The money would be nice, but then I remembered the Pinto and how much it needs. If I had to go out and buy all of this stuff it would be several hundred at least, probably much more.

Storage will be an issue. I need to get the Ranchero running asap so I can park the Pinto where the Ranchero is in order to work on it. I cannot get to the Pinto to even set the engine/trans in it for storage right now. The other stuff I can put in the back of it (having a wagon does come in handy).

So I would then have a rolling Mustang shell to get rid of. That shouldn't be too hard even if I had to give it away. Body is pretty straight. Would be a good candidate for a drag car or as a donor for a wrecked Mustang.

The other option would be to finish the exhaust and get it emission tested. Then spend more money on late fees and get it titled and registered. Probably close to $200 after everything. And sell it for around what I paid for it, $450 as it sits right now. I don't think that makes sense. To keep it and drive it I would have to buy tires for it, go thru the brakes and suspension, get the A/C fixed (no idea what's wrong, just that the A/C belt was missing when I bought it), replace the hatch (have a good one), install a driver's door window (have one of those too). And that is why it wouldn't sell for much even if I got it titled/registered.

I have been having this debate with myself for about a year now. I go back and forth on wanting the Pinto to be exactly what I want, but then knowing I won't have the money to do that and I would rather be driving it than seeing it tossed in our back yard like scrap.

None of this will really affect the Ranchero. It is the priority for any money I get to spend on cars (other than keeping the Subaru on the road).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Russ

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 11:19AM
PINTO!!!!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 12:13PM
pinto's are cool, yes the fox mustangs are everywhere, but if you pull the engine out of it you could list the rolling body ... someone would buy it for a racecar project?? probably get a quick couple hundred for it?
 if the 8" came from a 79 pinto wagon it will bolt right in the pinto (we did it on a mustang II) and if you could locate the motor mounts,exhaust manifolds from a v-8 mustang II you should be set to put a 302 in the pinto...Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 12:26PM
Thanks.

I will be listing it once it is stripped, which given my track record might not be before Christmas. Embarrassed
I just have horrible luck selling stuff, can't even give lots of it away.

The 8 inch is from/for a Pinto/Mustang II. I know what is needed for the V8 conversion, just don't have the money and likely won't. A 302 was the plan until I got the Ranchero and remembered how much better the Clevelands are. If I have to settle, it might as well be with something I have already. I only need to get the 2.3 frame mounts. I stupidly sold the ones the car had when I got rid of the 2.3 that it came with thinking I'd never need them again.

Russ
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 12:55PM
exhaust manifold won't work in pinto reverse 351's will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 1:12PM
A picture of how the Pinto looks right now. Except there is no suspension/steering, and it isn't on the concrete pad anymore.
The big hole on the passenger side fender well is where I had to cut out the bad metal from the battery corrosion. That is where the battery tray is on these, but I am moving the battery to the rear with the fuel cell.

Below shows where it was repaired at some point from a crash. I didn't see this when I bought it, probably wouldn't have. There was an engine in place, kind of hid everything. But the only issue seems to be with the sheet metal, the frame section seems well welded. It's in front of where the engine and suspension bolts on so it should be ok. I will be fixing the bad fitting metal.
The doors fit well, good gap all the way around. They replaced from that spot around to the passenger side of the radiator opening.

A box I built out of an old house A/C roof mount and some board. Intent at the time was for the battery to go inside, if you look you can see the top of the battery box. Not sure if I will be keeping it since the battery is being moved again, but it does make for a nice hidden storage space. It is covered in cheap black carpet that you can buy at Pepboys or similar.

Below is the suspension I have so far. Got a really good deal on it, was like $125 or $140 for all, but still need the lower arms and brakes. Never used except for trial fitting. The seats are the 97 Mustang power seats, paid like $60. But getting them was the trip I found out the Ranchero suspension was shot. Cry

Edited by russosborne - 13-August-2017 at 1:14PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 6:35PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 6:46PM
Talk about biting off more than I can chew. Embarrassed Cry Dead

Been doing lots of reading on using the engine and trans and I am not so sure it will work for me. I might be better off for now to just pull the stuff I was going to originally and scrap the car more or less complete.
The power bucket seats for sure, the center console, and the 3g alternator I put on it. Ebrake handle, seat belts.
I really want the harness, especially the main under hood lighting(not the engine specific, but the rest)(well, also the starter cables and stuff I modified), tail lights, and fuse box. I'll see what I can do, but I might just break out the tin snips (they work great for cutting wire harnesses) and do a quick cut and pull. I don't mind wiring, so having to redo some of it isn't a big deal. I'm decent with a soldering iron. Plus I might have to cut and paste anyway using the harness in the Pinto so no point in putting a lot of effort in trying to get it out in one piece. Just need to leave it as long as possible if I have to cut.

I didn't realize that the A4LD is a computer controlled trans. I was thinking of maybe going with no computer (just carb) as a possibility, but if the trans needs the computer anyway that would be a pain. Also found out that I would have to change distributors if I go the carb route. I HATE even touching the distributors on a Ford. I have never had good luck with them. I was surprised that the Pertronix install I did on the Ranchero only had a couple of opps. Pulling them is a total no no for me. Nothing like pulling it and hearing that nice clank when the shaft hits the pan. Then there is the fun of getting them back in.

Oh, well. The Pinto wasn't going to be back together anytime this year or next most likely anyway. Guess this Mustang is going to be a pita no matter what I do with it until it is gone. I really need to get the Ranchero back on it's tires so I can move the Pinto and start working on it again.

I'll crawl back under my rock now. Ouch

Thanks,

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 13-August-2017 at 6:55PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2017 at 7:01PM
russ, i haven't forgot on the ranchero bolts... just thinking how to get some from each car and still keep them moveable, i think i have a plan maybe... the one will probably go for scrap soon but i still need it to roll onto my trailerConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2017 at 4:16AM
Unless you have friends to install the 302 the front rad support must be removed unless you can stand the motor vertical also trans must be installed with motor
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2017 at 5:11AM
And the flange where the firewall meets the floor needs to be flattened.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2017 at 2:40PM
Oh and the heater air box won't fit thats my problem need air.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2017 at 5:06PM
Well, it looks like the Mustang has been saved to live another day.

I just got a really good job offer that I am of course taking. We only have the one car to drive right now, and I really hate leaving my wife at home with nothing in case she needs to go somewhere. So being as the Mustang is the only one out of the three reasonably close to being driveable that is the one. Can't afford to buy anything else right now. Don't really want another car payment anyway, we just paid off the Forester, kind of nice not having a car payment.

I start on the 5th, so I am hoping I can get my butt out there and finish it up enough to at least drive it to the emissions test station before that. Will worry about things like tires/brakes after I know it passes. I will be driving it to work once it gets to where I can trust it, I trust the Forester much much more so the wife will get that one. Going to need to spend a bit of cash on the Mustang, so I won't have it ready until after a couple of paychecks. But I have alot of stuff for it that I haven't gotten to yet that I can be doing. V8 front and rear sway bars, driver's window, unwrecked hatch, hooking up the wiring for the power seats. Hatch won't be fun doing alone. Not sure how I will handle that one yet. Might try to use my engine hoist and a strap. Or see if I can dredge up some help.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 18-August-2017 at 5:08PM
 Post Reply Post Reply