The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stalling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalling
    Posted: 14-August-2017 at 12:22PM
So, it is not crisis mode yet, but..

Twice now I have been out driving and, not early in the run, but later, I will be driving along and then the engine seems to be starving for fuel, pump the gas and it just sputters out. I pull over and try to start it-acts more flooded than anything, have to just keeping cranking it until it begins to catch, then build up the rpm's (while sputtering), until it really blows it self out and runs normally again.

This keeps me from driving it to Conn because I can see this happening on 78 in Jersey with no place to pull over-or the Merrit Parkway.

Any ideas?
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2017 at 1:22PM
Could be vapor lock issues, a partially clogged fuel sender screen, a clogged fuel tank vent.....I will say I fought vapor lock issues even after using a 160 T-stat, insulating the fuel lines, installing a bath tub gasket under the intake manifold, blocking the intake manifold's(Edelbrock Performer) heat x-over and finally an Edelbrock 1726(?) or 1728(?) mechanical fuel pump on my 472 BBF. I finally solved it by installing an Edelbrock 1791 electric fuel pump near the fuel tank, no more issues with running out of fuel. I  believe todays fuels are more susceptible to vapor lock issues when a vacuum is placed upon it, but I'm no engineer. Good luck, hope you get it solved. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2017 at 2:28PM
Newer fuel percolate more than before at lower pressure due to different additives I've been told. The industry does not need to worry about it as most car are fuel injected (under pressure fuel boils at a higher point, just like coolant). If you can add a return line and electric pump, that should solve your issue hopefully (diag online is more of a guessing game).
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2017 at 10:43PM
From what you describe you might want to try a spacer between the carb and intake manifold.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2017 at 3:04AM
thats worth a try, i have them on a few of my cars...

1/2" Ported Phenolic Carburetor Spacer 4bbl Fits Holley SB Chevy Ford SBC BBC BB
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2017 at 5:25AM
Growing up I had a neighbor with a 64' Cuda. Every summer he had to put a spacer in or the old Sunoco 260 he liked to burn would boil if he didn't. Foote500's description reminded me of listening to that neighbor.
 Post Reply Post Reply