The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valvetrain help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanbrown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valvetrain help
    Posted: 01-September-2017 at 9:47AM
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this type of wear and damage before? The valve stem is almost being machined by the keepers or somthing in the first pic.

I also noticed a couple valves were sitting much lower causing the rocker to hit the retainer. How could they be sitting lower than the rest? Bent or somthing? i cant tell if they are bent with just my eye. How can i check? 

Maybe the valve stem is getting machined down from the flakes of steel coming off the retainer? What do you guys think?

Thanks

71 Ranchero, 351w.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 8:39AM
you're well into the violent dis-assembly countdown

the locks are hammering the grooves out of the stems and the retainers are moving upwards and contacting the rockers. what lets go first is anybody's guess but the result will be the same, dropped valve(s) leading to a total catastrophic event 99% of the time

any details on the build, engine, cam grind, spring pressures yada yada yada ?

what does she tach to?
72 GT Ute

Jordanbrown123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanbrown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 6:17AM
Yikes. Looks like ill be rebuilding these heads. Or buying knew ones..
The block is a 1970s 302w. The bottom end is stock. And the heads are Fomoco c80E-J (1968?). CompCams roller tip rockers and stock everything else (probably) Maybe the springs are aftermarket (blue paint line on them. Sorta)

Car never ran properly. And had coolant blockages 3 inches thick in the intake making it overheat obviously. It was sitting for nearly 20 years before i got it. 

No idea how high the rpm will go. Dosent have a tach wired up and i barely drove it. 

Im guessing this is just symptoms of a really worn out head and engine. No idea of the miles on it. 

71 Ranchero, 351w.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 8:23AM
OK this is the spew motor, i didn't make the connection. C8xx yes 1968 model year castings could've been in production until the next iteration came about but they were coming fast & furious back then so likely 1968 ... on a 197x? block

that thing has had a hard life, the valves are cheap replacements or both

are you familiar with Alex's parts? https://www.alexsparts.com/

sbf heads are PITA because there's countless combinations of valve tip heights, retainers & rocker styles some of which are not compatible. be careful choosing parts, i'd start fresh with everything new / don't re-use anything. nice time to match the springs to a fresh cam Wink
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanbrown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2017 at 7:53AM
lol the spew motor. Yup thats me. 

Thanks for the input guys. Im totally rebuilding this damn thing now. Im gona catch any other issues before they bite me in the ass down the road. 
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2017 at 6:18AM
a quality 1 piece stainless steel valve is the way to go

have you measured the valve head & stem diameters yet?

are the castings serviceable or are you replacing them?

the GT40/P heads are an alternative but can create an issue with spark plug & exhaust clearance

build an Edelbrock Clevor?

Edited by Rockatansky - 09-September-2017 at 6:22AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanbrown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2017 at 1:58PM
Havent measured anything or done much since taking the thing apart. School started so i have to pay for that instead of parts for now. 

Im going to take the heads and block to a machine shop somewhere and get them checked out and cleaned before i do anything else. 

If the heads are screwed im probably going to get some edelbrock performer rpm heads or somthing. Not sure what will work for my set up. 

Might change out the cam depending on if its worn out or not. 

71 Ranchero, 351w.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2017 at 8:58AM
i'd pretty much consider the cam & lifters disposable. with such a popular platform you can probably pick up a complete running, rebuilt or crate engine for less than you'll pour into yours Wink
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply