The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headers for my 78 Ranchero with a 351W

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdproper73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headers for my 78 Ranchero with a 351W
    Posted: 27-September-2017 at 8:39AM
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 1978 Ranchero with a 351W. What are your suggestions on headers or should keep the exhaust manifolds?

Jason  
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2017 at 9:35AM
Jason,
Congrats on your Ranchero purchase. If you are looking for more hp/tq, full length headers will be helpful, although they will add some frustrations along with their efficiency. The drawbacks could be: tighter fitting to steering gear and/or starter, transmission case, transmission selector cable, noisier engine operation(exhaust of course) and etc. My honest suggestion is keep the manifolds unless one/both is cracked, if that is the case headers are usually cheaper than buying a new exhaust manifold. I run Hooker headers on my '79 BB Ranchero but that was due to not finding "good" exhaust manifolds, cam selection and porting the heads(an iron BBF head needs all the exhaust help it can get Wink). The biggest issues with headers are leaks, but using the "right" gaskets makes all the difference. Not sure if this was helpful or not, just being honest.

BTW, I see you are in Fl, where at in Fl are you located? I am in Summerfield, about 20 minutes south of Ocala.

Edited by aquartlow - 27-September-2017 at 9:37AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2017 at 1:30PM
what are your emissions obligations, or will this be an 'off Wink road' exhaust system?
headers can be hard to find for 1975 and up model years due to the manufacturers compliance responsibilities. past that hurdle you can use headers for previous model years same engine / chassis back to 1972. 1971 was a unibody and the steering was way different too so all bets are off whether those headers will fit 1972+

you may already be aware of the bad news, there's not many part numbers available these days

and Yes headers can be a real PITA, aquartlow has given some good advice obviously from the university of been there done that, spent a ton & kicked my own Censored doing it.i have a degree around here somewhere myself. i fought a set of Hooker Super Comps for a LOT of years & I'm glad they're too roached to mess with again

then there's the rust. they didn't make headers that didn't rust when i started with those Censored, do yourself a favor and pay the $ for a set that's factory coated or stainless steel. it's worth it!

they say these fit but y'never know til y'try. regular Competition NOT super try to get them in-tition   

72 GT Ute

jdproper73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdproper73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 8:01AM
Hello aquartlow,

Thank you, Do you know where I could get a hood for my ranchero? I'm going to try to save it but just in case. I live in Fort Myers, FL. I will post pictures of my ranchero soon.
Jason
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 8:13AM
Hood from a 77-79 Tbird, Cougar, LTD II, and Ranchero are all the same.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 10:52AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Jeff,
 If my memory serves me correctly, the 77-79 T-bird/Cougar hoods are a match & the 77-79 LTD II/Ranchero hoods match, but not all 4 will match each other.  

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 11:06AM
Originally posted by jdproper73 jdproper73 wrote:

Hello aquartlow,

Thank you, Do you know where I could get a hood for my ranchero? I'm going to try to save it but just in case. I live in Fort Myers, FL. I will post pictures of my ranchero soon.
Jason

My grandparents used to live in Ft. Myers off of McGregor on the corner of Winkler Rd. and El Mar Ave.  They both passed a few years back Cry, I still have an uncle that lives in Cape Coral, just can't seem to get down there as often as I used to. Try car-part.com for finding your needed parts, I know there is a 77-79 Ranchero near Wildwood, Fl at B & S auto parts, just not sure of hood condition. Not many of these around to scrounge parts off of anymore. Good luck.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 12:22PM
jason i went with JBA #1653S headers on my 351W  they fit pretty well (they aren't cheap--but nice quality!!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 1:04PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Jeff,
 If my memory serves me correctly, the 77-79 T-bird/Cougar hoods are a match & the 77-79 LTD II/Ranchero hoods match, but not all 4 will match each other.  

That's right.  It's the doors that are all interchangeable, as long as it's 2-door Cougars and LTD IIs.  Thanks for catching that.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2017 at 1:21PM

Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Jeff,

That's right.  It's the doors that are all interchangeable, as long as it's 2-door Cougars and LTD IIs.  Thanks for catching that.

I have "my moments" LOL, although too few to mention.

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2018 at 2:55PM
I shoulda checked closer to the date on this post. You know I wound up buying some headers from fordpowertrain that with the ceramic coating I added cost close to 900 bucks. They lied to me and told me they were specially made for the 460 ranchero yet that had Lincoln stamped on the flange... Go figure, a real pita to install and to top it off, I wound up having to cut part of my upper a-arm out for fitment. They also hit the steering gearbox. They're also sorties, with a very radical angled collector that strange to me was throttled to maybe 2 1/2 before it swelled back to 3 inch. I have had them for maybe 5 years and they have not rusted due to the coating. I have a def increase in hp and torque, but I know there's lots more in a better design. Don't buy them. And Todd, sure there's going to be more noise, but that's what we want right??
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
EvilScientistMoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilScientistMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2021 at 6:07PM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

I shoulda checked closer to the date on this post. You know I wound up buying some headers from fordpowertrain that with the ceramic coating I added cost close to 900 bucks. They lied to me and told me they were specially made for the 460 ranchero yet that had Lincoln stamped on the flange... Go figure, a real pita to install and to top it off, I wound up having to cut part of my upper a-arm out for fitment. They also hit the steering gearbox. They're also sorties, with a very radical angled collector that strange to me was throttled to maybe 2 1/2 before it swelled back to 3 inch. I have had them for maybe 5 years and they have not rusted due to the coating. I have a def increase in hp and torque, but I know there's lots more in a better design. Don't buy them. And Todd, sure there's going to be more noise, but that's what we want right??

My FPA headers (they were already on my '76 Ranchero when I bought it) are indeed now touching the steering box (I swapped to a Saginaw quick-ratio box), and two of the tubes (#1 and #4, I believe) had to be dimpled where they touched the crossmember.

These were supposed to be the Ranchero-specific 429/460 headers but they look like they were for another application.

Post Reply Post Reply