The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 vs 73 Ranchero body (firewall to tailgate)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 vs 73 Ranchero body (firewall to tailgate)
    Posted: 28-September-2017 at 8:20PM
I know there are differences in other places, but I am wondering if the actual sheet metal is the same. Not fenders, hood, etc, but the main body.
Thinking of options other than repairing the floors and quarters on mine and need to know what I can and can't do. A body swap might be easier in the long run. Or even finding a donor floor.

Thanks
Russ
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 12:20AM
72 -76 body  torino -  ranchero  === firewall floors all the same,
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 3:10AM
there's an inner fender support mounting bracket that changed along the line, early 73 may be the same as 72 but late 73 may be the same as 74? the early style uses a separate L shaped bracket in the door hinge are and the later style has a built in tab off the inner fender brace, the bolt holes in the firewall / shroud / A pillar bulkhead are in different places IIRC

kind of minor compared to swapping shells

with all this talk of floor metal i got to looking at Dynacorn products. if the exhaust system for a Chevelle works on Torino maybe the floor metal can work too?
El Camino for Ranchero?

but yeah guys are using early Mustang pans, easy to source. starting with a search term 'floor pan' got it down to 6 pages

Edited by Rockatansky - 15-October-2017 at 3:12AM
72 GT Ute

7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 7:07AM
Don't know about the quarters, but would the floors from a 77-79 LTD/Cougar/T-bird work?  From what I understand, the frames are near identical.  Maybe the floors too?
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 5:40PM
far as i know floors are the same just the wagons and 4 dr's are a little longer
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 9:48PM
Thanks guys.

I was really asking about the whole body, not just the floor. I was thinking it might be easier to just do a body swap. Guess I phrased the question poorly.
Although it doesn't matter at this point, just doing the floor I hope. John, still waiting for the shipping price. Embarrassed

Not sure why I didn't see the replies before.

Russ
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 12:18AM
Good luck!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Anton Olafsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Olafsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 2:17AM
Stop complaining and start welding!

Making New floor is always easyer than doing a body swap! !
Regards from ICELAND
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 3:28PM
russ, sorry Embarrassed been sick for the last week and a half CryAngry but i'll work on getting it figured out over the weekend trying to find huge cardboard boxes for these big  parts is a pain but my buddy has a couple big boxes from xmas items, saved for me Wink but i did get the long passenger pan cut down for easier shipping Wink these big parts are killin' me LOL i still have to get a hood to alex soon too Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 4:56PM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

Thanks guys.

I was really asking about the whole body, not just the floor. I was thinking it might be easier to just do a body swap. Guess I phrased the question poorly.
Although it doesn't matter at this point, just doing the floor I hope. John, still waiting for the shipping price. Embarrassed

Not sure why I didn't see the replies before.

Russ

If you're talking about swapping a Torino body for a Ranchero body (or vice versa), the frame is different between Torino and Ranchero behind the axle so the body's won't swap unless you section the rear frame to match the new body as well.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 7:15PM
Nope, Ranchero for Ranchero.
But at this point fixing what I have is the only option besides scrapping it. Don't have the extra income to play with anymore.
Thanks,
Russ
newmexguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2018 at 5:23AM
Doubt your looking anymore, but there is an individual in Deming (NM) who advertises heavily on craiglist who likely has whole Ranchero bodies.   The local yard here (Dona Ana NM) has two, but they are both 77-79. Owner would let them go cheap, I am shure. One is already taken off the frame. Clean southern NM metal. Dave S. dona Ana NM / Tucson AZ   
an old friend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote an old friend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2018 at 9:42AM
the 72 and the 73 are the same past the fire wall. ALL parts interchange.
Jerry Lester
 Post Reply Post Reply