The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Question
    Posted: 03-October-2017 at 4:08PM
Hi guys! If you don't know I usually frequent the 72-76 forum but I have questions that should be right up your alley.

The wheels here on this car. Did they come in 15X7? Are the extremely hard to come by? Do they cost a small fortune as well?   

I'm decided to clean up the outside of my 72 Sport and decided on steel wheels and caps but then I remembered seeing these on the earlier model.

Thanks

Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 03-October-2017 at 4:09PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2017 at 5:48PM
i don't remember Ford using 5 slots ... ever ?

just found these from AUS, reverse offset but won't hold the dog dish

i do recall possibly Wheel Vintiques doing a Ford pattern 5 slot but i don't see it listed any more 
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2017 at 5:54PM
FWIW i have a set of 6 slot Mopar steel police rallye's and chrome baby moons, mine are original Mopar but i see they're re-popping them new https://www.wheelvintiques.com/chrysler-police.html 

72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2017 at 6:01PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i don't remember Ford using 5 slots ... ever?

They used them but I've only seen them in 14X6 and usually in a light or dark argent. In 15X7 it would have possibilities.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2017 at 1:18AM
I've never seen the Ford 5 slot wheels in 15". 

For the look you're going for, if you're OK with 6 slot, I'd be all over the Mopar police wheels.  I'm just not sure if the Ford caps will fit them.  Probably not, if I had to guess.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2017 at 4:21AM
Those are Ford Styled Steel Wheels.

The were a no cost option on 70-71 Torinos, Cougars, Cyclones, Rancheros, and possibly Mustangs.

I have several sets, and have only seen them in 14X7 myself.

I have also managed to locate a set of 15X6 and 15X10 "Dropped Center Hoops" to convert them to 15" diameter.

Stockton Wheel has done this change for many a Ford fan over the years, and they get PAID $$$ to do it!!!

The centers are riveted in and it is pretty easy to break them down, the rub is you need to cut the old "Hoop" off the center, and basically ruin them to do it.

In the past I have looked for ones with curb rash, or dings to use as cores to build a set of 15's from.

I find the going price for good ones to be $75.00 / $100.00 each and real cheap for damaged ones if you can find any these days.

The Hoops are really difficult to come by theses days.

Last time I tried to get a set, I called Stockton, and they refused to sell them.

As it turned out, I actually managed to find an old timer local to me that had a bunch of 6" and 10" Hoops left over from the seventies when he made a living making custom steel wheels, and punching panels full of louvers.

I have a thread on the TorinoCobra site with pictures and other details, but they were posted on Photobucket and the pics are gone now, but I can re-upload them here later tonight if you like.

The old TC thread is attached below and I lifted a picture link from WCCC for now to show what they look like in 15" diameter, these are chromed.

www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/71ss.html  <= Cut and paste that into browser to see example

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35530&p=269897&hilit=wheels#p269897

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/index.html

Thanks, Mike H.

Edited by mtburger - 04-October-2017 at 4:24AM
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2017 at 6:25AM
Here ya go.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 04-October-2017 at 6:27AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 1:42PM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply