The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat Belts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat Belts
    Posted: 15-October-2017 at 6:17AM
Has anyone on here upgraded their seat belts on there 72-73 Torino?  I would like to add in rear three point belts for my kids and I figured I could upgrade my front belts too. 

For the rear belts I'd kind of like to have the retractors mounted in the trunk somewhere.  I figure that the trunk floor or wheelhouse is more solid than the package tray.  Plus, it'd look much cleaner.  Here is a pic I found on a Chevelle.  

My concerns would be where to mount the actual retractor.  I am also not sure how to fee the belt through the package tray.  The picture about has some sort of belt sleeve, but not sure where to find that.

If I was doing the rear belts, I'd also like to do the fronts.  There are a lot of universal setups out there, but I am not sure how well they will work with our Torinos.  I'd like to use the stock mounting points for the front belts.  I figure modern three points would probably be more comfortable, while also probably safer overall (due to the better retractors).

I have seen some setups too with these drop mounts on the ceiling. I was thinking they might work well since the shoulder belt mount points are pretty far back on the '72-73 cars.

Any advice is appreciated.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 6:35AM
vince, does your car have the roof mounting point like in the pic ^^^above? if so it would be easy to convert the front belts!
 74+ have a lower double mounting bracket i have some brackets you would just need to get 74 -79 2 dr belt retractors
the rear IDK can be done but not sure what to use?

Edited by californiajohnny - 15-October-2017 at 6:52AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 6:42AM
If you come thru the package tray, you need a way to ensure that the belt will not fray or shear against the edge of the metal in an accident.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
havanariviera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 2:10AM
http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/MS6473CPB-Rear.html

I've been doing some very preliminary research as I have the same questions/concerns for the rear seat of my 72. I can post a few websites I came across offering conversion kits.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 2:50AM
I have the passenger side front seat belt harness set-up from a '79 Cougar (2 door), if you're interested.  Pay the shipping, and it's yours, if you want to play around with it.  It's blue.  I've also got the shorter buckles too.  Just don't have the driver's side harness.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 12:56PM
The stock 1972-73 seat belts mounts are like in the picture I posted above (which is a Chevelle).  They are further back than the 1974-76 Torino shoulder belt mounts.  This is discussed in this thread here:

It doesn't seem to me that there is any definitive conclusion on if the later belts will work or not in the older cars.  I am also not sure if they floor mounts for the retractors are the same for the 72-73's and the newer cars.

The fraying of the belt is a big concern if I mount them below the package tray.  From a quick look at the tray on my car, I'd probably have to cut slots in the tray for this to work, then figure out how to prevent the belts from rubbing on the sharp metal.  I do like the clean look, but it's a lot of work.  The photos that I posted from that Chevelle, the guy used parts for a 2009 Camry to may it work (the belts are aftermarket though).

I also was doing some more searching through the archives and I found that member Sininenlll did do this conversion.  He did it a little differently than most of the other conversions I have seen.  Typically the retractor is mounted up high like on modern cars, with the two factory belt mounts being just solid belt mounts.  He mounted the retractor down low, mount a seatbelt loop up high on the package tray area.  It works, but it's just not as clean as other installs.  I means that you have two belts running up the seats instead up one (because it's looped over). 

Edit:  after looking at his pictures more closely, I think he actually used 3-point non retractable belts. 

Here is his install:

These are custom reinforcement "L" brackets he fabbed:

Here is that thread:

It seems most of the aftermarket kits have the belt retractors mounted on the package tray. Of course there are no kits for Torinos.  I did see one company called Morris offers reinforcement prackets for the package tray mounts.  This might be a viable option, but I have to fab up my own package tray reinforcement.  Below is pics of a Morris kit installed in a Chevelle.

Here is the Morris reinforcement bracket.  I think something like this would work for a Torino. 

Another concern for the front belts is the unique style floor mounts that the Torino uses for the front belts.  I am not sure any of the aftermarket retractors could mount to it correctly. 

Jeff, I might take you up on your offer.  I am not as concerned about the front belts at this point but it would be nice to have something less restrictive and safer than the original belts.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 18-October-2017 at 8:27AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 3:09PM
there is a difference in the buckle / latch in some of the seatbelts 72,73,74 are the same connection but some 74's are like the newer style buckle...
 the 74-79 front belt retractor mounts are different if you need the 74+ front mounts let me know i have several that can be removed Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 4:45PM
Have you considered a 4 point harness? I see them more and more and I've wondered if it isn't an extension of the awareness brought about by the car seat laws. Good harness's are available now in the same price range as shoulder belts and should require a lot less thought to the geometry when compared to a locking shoulder belt. Of course I'm assuming their use for children is legal everywhere. The harness is more restrictive but it would also be a rare circumstance where it wouldn't be safer should something happen.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2017 at 1:54AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Jeff, I might take you up on your offer.  I am not as concerned about the front belts at this point but it would be nice to have something less restrictive and safer than the original belts.

Sounds good Vince.  Let me know.  They are kinda heavy, so shipping to Canada may get a little expensive.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2017 at 8:25AM
Jeff,

do you have a picture of the seatbelt mount on the '74+ Torinos?  Just wondering how different it is from the '72-73 cars.

Don,

4-points are too restrictive for my needs.  The main reason I'd upgrade the front belts is for comfort, instead of the solid mount shoulder straps.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2017 at 12:08PM
Vince,

I can't argue with that. My thoughts for the 4 point were for the kids in the rear. The shoulder straps on a 4 point can often be done without permanent alterations to the car and won't have the geometry issues that come with some impact locking belts. For the kids, they are safer plus some insurance companies offer discounts for 4 and 5 point harnesses for kids. They do here anyways.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 4:40AM
So I had a little time to do some searching and it looks like the 1972-73 front seatbelt mounts are quite a bit different than the 1974 and newer mounts.  Here are some pictures I found for comparison:

Here is the 1972-73 style floor mounts:

Here are the 1974 and newer style:

So I think retrofitting the newer style retractors to the 1972-73 cars would be difficult without changing the mounting tabs.  I also found a couple of good pictures to show the difference in the shoulder strap locations.  The 1972-73 cars were much further back compared to the 1974 and newer cars.

Here is a 1972-73, note how far back the shoulder belt is mounted to the roof:

Here is a 1974 and newer style:

Since the 1972-73 style tabs are on an angle, this might also make mounting an aftermarket retractor difficult.  It seems most of the aftermarket retractors mount directly to a b-pillar or at 90 degrees from the floor with a "L" bracket.  This is shown here:

So I think retrofitting the front belts with a modern setup might be difficult if I want to use the factory seat belt mounts (which I do).  I am wondering if I send my stock setup to a seat belt company if that can alter it and install a new retractor assembly in the existing setup.  That might be big dollars though.

Anyone have any thoughts on the front belts? 

I think for the rear, I am leaning towards going with a retractor mounted on the package tray, and a custom bracket below the shelf to reinforce the tray like the Chevelle guys use.  The 4 points would require two more shoulder strap mounts. 

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 11:24AM
vince, that's what i was saying... i have several of those brackets for the lower mount from a 74! they are just spot welded up in the rocker, all you'd need to do is remove the spot welds from yours, cut the slot a little longer, and put the 74 brackets up in place and plug weld them in just like factory  i'll check on the 4dr i'm parting it has separate retractors that might work for the rear???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 7:23AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

vince, that's what i was saying... i have several of those brackets for the lower mount from a 74! they are just spot welded up in the rocker, all you'd need to do is remove the spot welds from yours, cut the slot a little longer, and put the 74 brackets up in place and plug weld them in just like factory  i'll check on the 4dr i'm parting it has separate retractors that might work for the rear???

Thanks Johnny, I didn't know that's what you meant in your original response.  The only issue I have, is I can't weld.  My other concern is, I am not sure if the newer style Torino belts will work with the shoulder mount in a different spot.  It's definitely an option though.  How much would you want for them?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 8:10AM
i never paid much attention but maybe look at late model Crown Vic as to how they mount the rear retractors. they do have a 3rd middle seat winder on the package tray but the other 2 are out of the way behind the interior panels

maybe even graft the entire mounts & sheet metal into the Torino?

how bout a roller coaster safety bar? clunk you're locked in!
72 GT Ute

jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:54AM
Hi Vince,

I'm from Paris France and I have the same issue, I'm looking for a rear 3 point seat belt for my 2 years and half son. I have a 73 fastback Gran Torino.

Have you found a solution, is there a shop selling it ? Did you customized something ?

Thanks

PS : Thanks to California Johnny who led me there.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 12:01PM
Jessie, no I haven't installed any belts yet.  When I do I will update the thread.  In the mean time, the only person who has is Sininenlll.  His car is the blue Torino seen partway up this thread.  You can copy what he did to do an install in your car.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 1:05PM
Anyone used Seatbeltplanet.com? I was thinking 4-point in the middle of the back seat. Probably have to get creative in the trunk to add a cross brace under the tray.

Edited by handsofstone - 20-March-2019 at 1:06PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 3:36PM
Originally posted by jessie jessie wrote:

Hi Vince,

I'm from Paris France and I have the same issue, I'm looking for a rear 3 point seat belt for my 2 years and half son. I have a 73 fastback Gran Torino.

Have you found a solution, is there a shop selling it ? Did you customized something ?

Thanks

PS : Thanks to California Johnny who led me there.
Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2019 at 11:47AM
Thanks Vince/ @72FordGTS  
 Post Reply Post Reply