The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door hinge measurements?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door hinge measurements?
    Posted: 16-October-2017 at 9:28PM
Does anyone have a door hinge that they could take some measurements for?
Talking to the people at the Mustang Steve website, they make these kits
https://www.mustangsteve.com/product/do-it-yourself-rebuild-kit-71-73/
( they have them for the 68-73 Mustangs).
And here is a link where they show in detail what these involve. Even shows where I think they need the Torino measurements.
https://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html/

I asked if they knew if any of their kits would fit a 72 Torino/Ranchero, and got this reply:

"Russ,
Actually I've been wanting to start marketing them to Torino owners. I can't remember which year it was but I found out not long ago that one of my hinge kits fits same year on a Torino as on a Mustang. If you could measure the distance on the outer door hinge part that the pin would be welded to then I could tell you if it would work.
If it's not an exact match I could easily make a set to the length you need. That would help me out by then letting me know exact sizes to start carrying for other customers on the Torino.
Let me know what you find. 
Thanks!
Michael
MustangSteve "

My doors are still attached and I am not sure I could get an accurate enough measurement so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 16-October-2017 at 9:31PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2017 at 3:22AM
i have several i could measure....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2017 at 9:06AM
if I had to hazard a guess, the hinges that are the same are 67-70 mustang for 66-71 Fairlane/Torinos, as 66-69 falcon, 67-70 mustang chassis is just a shorter wheelbase Fairlane chassis.

Edited by Big Bird - 17-October-2017 at 9:07AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2017 at 7:29PM
John,
Have you been able to get a measurement?
If not I can try to measure mine while on the car. Just need to get a caliper.
Thanks,
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2017 at 2:11AM
totally forgot Embarrassed what exactly am i measuring??? the pin? the hole spacing? the height?...????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2017 at 10:03PM
Yes. LOL

Actually I think they need the inner hinge measured between the two ears for a steel tube to fit in it, and the outer hinge from the top to the bottom on the outside.
Both upper and lower hinges.

See if this helps, I couldn't find it the first time I posted but it shows better what their kit does.

https://www.mustangsteve.com/67-73-mustang-cougar-door-hinges/

I bought a cheap caliper and am going to try it myself as well.

Another option I have is to buy a cheap pair of hinges and send them to them. Rather not have to, cheapest I've seen is around $35 dollars plus shipping. No talk of getting a discount from them for doing this, so I am trying not to spend much. I bought the caliper for this, but I figure I will use that again.
If they give me a break later on fine, if not fine. This is just another of those things that I've been wanting to do since I first came across it when I still had a 69 Mustang years ago and I've been wondering if it could be done on our cars ever since I bought the Ranchero. Wacko

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 03-November-2017 at 10:08PM
 Post Reply Post Reply