The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - best temp settings for a dual speed radiator fan?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best temp settings for a dual speed radiator fan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best temp settings for a dual speed radiator fan?
    Posted: 20-October-2017 at 9:17PM
Using a 195 degree thermostat.
Thinking 200 or 210 for low with a shut off at 195, but no clue for the high speed. The cheap variable probe I am using is set to come on at about 205 currently.

Lincoln Mk VII/VIII (brain fart) factory electric fan so even low works extremely well. Never had a overheating issue with this fan other than the time I forgot to put antifreeze in and it came close to boiling. But that was all my fault. Embarrassed
Any/all thoughts on temps welcome.

I just want to get rid of the probe in the radiator fin sensor I have so I need to figure out the temps I need.
Thinking something like this for the sensor locations
http://www.steigerperformance.com/PRODUCTS/sp40001.html
the dual 3/8th inch one.

Unless someone knows of a better way to run two fan switches?

Thanks
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 20-October-2017 at 9:25PM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 1:31AM
With an adjustable fan controller(Derale 16749) you can install a sensor/sender in the heater hose to allow the wiring to be more easily hidden, but a sensor/sender that is not adjustable really needs to be installed into the engines water jacket(intake manifold) for a more confident or accurate temp readings. Anything that is placed away from the engine itself may add to inconsistent turn on/off temps. I would also recommend you use the sensors/senders as "triggers" only to send signals to larger 70 amp relays since the Mark VIII fan WILL KILL a standard 30/40 amp relay, doing so allows smaller gauge wires to/from sensor to signal the relay with larger 8-10 ga wiring to the fan and battery. Here is the difference between a 70 amp relay and a standard 30/40 amp relay.

I run dual fans on my BBF Ranchero(with associated wiring/controllers/relays), so I know or at least have an inkling on what you are going through.

FWIW, I use a 160' T-stat but have my fans turn on @ 185' on the larger fan and 190' on the smaller fan(Ford Windstar dual fan assembly), doing this allows the fans to turn on/off without fighting the T-stat since the fans turn off 10 degrees lower than their respected turn on temp(in my application) the T-stat is fully open even when the fans turn off.

Edited by aquartlow - 21-October-2017 at 1:33AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 3:30PM
Thanks.
I agree wholeheartedly on using relays. In fact technically I am using two per speed. I have the current sensor switch feeding a regular Bosche style relay, and that turns on the constant use solenoid I am using to provide power to the fan. I will be doing this for both speeds once I get that far.
Might be a tad overkill, but I had the solenoid anyway so figured why not? Definitely won't hurt anything, and the solenoid can handle all the power the Lincoln fan draws and more. And worst case I can use a standard Ford starter solenoid to replace it in an emergency (but not recommended for long term use though).

As far as using the water jacket I'm not sure I have enough places, would need three, one for the temp gauge, and two for the fan switchs. Agreed it is better though if I can.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 21-October-2017 at 3:34PM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 4:07PM
Nothing wrong with a "little" overkill when dealing with a vehicle's electrical loads. Be careful with choosing/using solenoids, make sure they are rated "continuous duty" or they could overheat and fry internally in short order depending on current going through the solenoid. A Ford fender mount style solenoid is usually rated as "intermittent duty", so just do a little checking/verifying before laying out the coin for one or more.
Here are examples of a continuous duty solenoid:

Here is an example of an intermittent duty solenoid(note the likeness toward a Ford starter solenoid):

Just an FYI. Good luck with your install.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 9:53PM
Thanks.
Yeah, the solenoids I have are continous duty. Just mentioned using the Ford starter soleniods in an emergency. They are a bit easier to get sometimes than a 70 amp relay.
Russ
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 9:19AM
golf cart parts

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply