The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C with Edelbrock Performer intake bolts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C with Edelbrock Performer intake bolts?
    Posted: 23-October-2017 at 8:44PM
This is for the 351C 2V engine with the Performer 2V intake.

I'm not sure if this is a valid concern, but I was reading on a Mustang site about people using the Performer intake needing longer bolts. Now, this was for a 302, not a Cleveland. But now I am wondering if it is also true for us.

If so, I'd appreciate any recommendations on either bolt kits or sizes of bolts needed. I'd like to have everything on hand before starting the intake swap (whenever that may be at this point).

Also I've seem some suggest that you don't use stainless bolts with an aluminum intake. Thoughts on that?

I also read about using studs instead of bolts, but I am not coming up with any in my search so far for the Cleveland.

Thanks
Russ
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2017 at 12:15PM
Measure the thickness of the factory intake where the bolts go thru and compare with the new intake.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2017 at 12:41PM
you can use studs on the 4) 5/16" bolts at the center of the intake because they're straight up & down but the other 8) 3/8" bolts angle inward & you'd need to screw the studs in after the intake got dropped on. far from any kind of critical TQ load holding a manifold on i wouldn't sweat using bolts

the studs on the center bolts can also be used as an installation aid then swapped back for bolts after the intake is in place on the gaskets. there's always controversy when dis-similar metals contact, stainless can gall (friction weld) in the threads during tightening if not lubricated with anti-seize compound. the anti-seize also works for the long term inhibiting electrolysis and making dis-assembly possible at some point
72 GT Ute

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 6:02PM
Thanks guys.

Guess I will just have to wait until I'm doing this to find out what bolts I need. I was hoping to find a set specific for the C, but other than Edelbrock having one for the Air Gap manifold I'm not having any luck.

If all goes as planned Clown I'll be doing this while the engine is on a stand. I hope. So having to deal with wrong sized bolts won't hurt as much.

Russ
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 12:17AM
If I remember correctly, I used the factory manifold bolts to get the size right, then went down to the hardware store and got good Grade 8 bolts. Tightened down the Edelbrock manifold just fine.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
 Post Reply Post Reply