The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello everyone...79 ttop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello everyone...79 ttop
    Posted: 11-November-2017 at 1:51PM
Hello ford fams...my name is james..ive been a 77-79 thunderbird freak since i was 16 owning my 1st of 6 at 17.its been 20 years since owning #5 two weeks ago i picked up 6 a 79 t-top.. I'm really excited about this it has a very solid body but unfortunately it has set for many years I am so happy to find this site for I'm going to be needing a lot of trim a lot of molding should I say for Windows the t-tops doors the electrical is a little messed up I would love to find a 79 Sports cluster for it I would enjoy picking a few of your brains for info .. I would post some pictures but I'm not sure how being I'm only on the cell phone it's kind of unique I spoke to the original owner cuz it doesn't have the original vacuum assist doors for the headlights like they normally do it has a front end resembling a Cougar XR7 interesting I need to check in on this also anyway I hope to start speaking with people soon out here on if they might need anything as as me needing help on maybe finding some parts or something in that aspect
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2017 at 4:51PM
welcome!! sounds coolBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2017 at 3:42PM
Welcome from a fellow Tbird T-Top owner.  I've actually got plans to put a Montego front clip on mine.  Would love to see some pictures of yours, if you can figure it out.  What parts are you looking for?  I'm selling some extra parts.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
T-Top Thunderfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2017 at 3:47PM
Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2017 at 3:54PM
So how long have you owned your t-top? Thanks for mentioning parts.. I'm looking for all the trunk carpeting inside pieces anything to do with the inside of the trunk cuz all of mine has been stripped.. I'm also looking for a lot of weather stripping especially for the tops doors you know I'd love to find somewhere to get a hold of that. It has powers driver's seat so I need the switch for that amongst some other odds and ends for sure I'd love to show you some pictures of it I could message you them on Facebook or something that's usually easy to do Facebook messenger and looks pretty neat though with that front end it's so different than the regular for sure.id like to see pics of yours . Another thing I am needing our pics of the wiring under the hood coming off the starting solenoid and so on some mice chewed on some of the wiring and I'd love to be able to see where some of them are being routed to

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2017 at 3:55PM
Please let me know what you have for sale extra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 12:32AM
I've had mine for several years.  The previous owner had already done a lot of the mechanical resto.  Still not running though.  I can get the pictures you need.  Car is in storage at my Dad's, but I should be there today.
As far as parts, I've got some of the side trim pieces.  I also picked up an extra set of T-top rubber seals this past week at a Pull a Part.  Couldn't believe I found a T-Top Tbird at a Pull a Part.  I need to see how mine are, before I'd be willing to part with them though.  I grabbed the Tops too, to have as extras.  Would sell them, if someone needed them.  I also grabbed the T-Top specific under hood and chassis braces and hardware.  I've got a pair of nice fenders.  And I'll be selling all of the vacuum lines and canisters needed for the headlights, since I'm getting rid of that stuff, but doesn't sound like you need that.

My name is Jeff Rylant, in Canton, GA, if you want to look for me on Facebook, so you can send me pictures via Messenger.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 2:14AM
Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you got a great project car.  There is lots of knowledge and friendly advice here, so please feel free to make yourself at home.
I have upgraded you from a "Brand New Member" to a "New Member" which means you have full permissions, including uploading photos and private messaging.  Posting a photo with your phone is the same as with a browser.  The instructions are here:

The only difference is that instead of a "Browse" button there is a "Choose File" button to find the photo on phone.  It's not hard once you get it once.  The only caveat is that the photos must be less than 500KB in size.  So you may have to resize them before you upload.

Alternatively, if you have your photos hosted by a third part website, all you need is the URL address for the photo.  The instructions for this method are also laid out in that link above, it's part 2 called "How to post a photo hosted online by a third part server"

You can also send a Private message to Canuck to host your photos if you don't have anywhere to host them.  Click here to send him a PM:

Let me know if you need any help.  We'd all love to see pics of the T-Bird.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 2:21AM
Yes welcome!!! We'd love to see the pics
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 2:39AM
Thanks everyone..ill figure out the pics for sure.. yeah the old girls going to need a lot of work but I'm ready for it Bodyworks shouldn't be too bad there is some rest in the rear quarter on the driver side I'm just worried about a lot of the weather stripping around the doors t-tops areas like that the weather stripping is old and rotten and falling apart she's been sitting for at least 20 years I think again wiring is the big issue especially under the hood I'm need to look at under the hood of a couple of them to figure out where some of the wiring is going...cant say how excited iam..kinda ironic its been 20 yrs since having one..this bird was last tagged n 97..shes been sitting around waiting on me....lol
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 6:06AM
welcome aboard.  glad you are here

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 11:07AM
Welcome!
From another 79 Thunderbird owner!
Cougar headers were a common swap after accidents or as a custom touch.
Do you have a Thunderbird grille, or the Cougar grille? Do your fenders still have the "gills", or did they swap the whole clip?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2017 at 1:57PM
To answer the question on the front end...im the 3rd owner of her..i got to speak with the 2nd..he told me that the original owner bought it new in 1980 from a dealership and it was already like that.it was a special order with that front clip on it ttops power locks power seat..no power windows..now im use to the vacuum headlight doors also..i went and looked all over that car and didn't find one hint of hardware for those anywere..there's even a tbird emblem on the drivers side of the front clip so im lost on that..and yes she does have gills on her fenders..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 9:00AM
Pics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 9:05AM
Pics
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 9:09AM
That is a Cougar header, and the T-bird emblem is off a headlight door.
Bumper being crooked makes me think someone fixed it after a minor accident.
I always liked the Mercury front.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 11:46AM
i agree with randy ^^^
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 12:21PM
Regardless of why the front end was swapped, I think it looks pretty good that way.  Nice looking car, glad you were able to figure out the pictures.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 2:36PM
Looks great!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 3:30PM
She definitely looks better n pics..im gonna need weather stripping for the tops and doors..atm im trying to get her started to see how healthy she is..i have alot of the wiring under the hood sorta figured out..i need to see under the hood of another one.notably coming off the ecm..she needs all the linings for the trunk..i found somewhere to order carpet..she could really use different seats..they have been exposed to weather..the seat is power i need the switch..i don't know if i should continue using this thread or start a new one but im gonna start tearing her down for restoring..i could sure use some help and advice along the way...i don't have a lot of money but i make up for working at a shop that i can work on her in..i. Wet paint and powder coat and blast..plus i have good mechanic abilities so the labor costs are nearly nothing..lets see what she becomes..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2017 at 3:23AM
Hello everyone had a breakthrough.. all the wiring or should I say a lot of the wiring in my old bird was chewed up by some kind of animals or something. after some rewiring the last few days I'm happy to say I now have power back to the inside of the vehicle.. the ECM.. coil.. a lot of the essentials.. headlights.. I love the essential needs are now back to life.. hopefully this weekend we could see if she starts...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2017 at 3:31AM
That's awesome news!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2017 at 4:08PM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 5:48AM
Hello everyone..just an update...timing chain is toast n the old bird..found a 351 4v h.o.i might get for it
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 7:01AM
Is yours a W or M?
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 7:44AM
Its a Windsor...i pulled a 302 out of her..and im dropping the 351 in its place

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Top Thunderfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 7:46AM
The Windsor came out of an old 82 Ford pickup 8283 something like that
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 8:32AM
Good motor.  I have one in My 79 landau.  Are you gonna look for the right nose piece, or leave it the way it is? (My vote would be leave it; You'll NEVER see yourself coming or going in traffic!LOL)
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2017 at 8:38AM
BTW, I think you can go 429/460 with Torino mounts. Just a thought...Evil Smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
 Post Reply Post Reply