The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 - how much oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starskyknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 - how much oil?
    Posted: 03-September-2008 at 9:15PM
A friend is building a Willys Coupe Hot Rod with a 74 Lincoln 460 block, he doesn't know how much oil to put in.

It has some snazzy chrome dipstick with no markings on either......

thanks,
Steven
haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 11:30AM
Don't trust any dipstick that is not directly intended for the 460, or from the factory. I just rebuilt a 460 for a friend, out of a jet boat, it spun bearings because of low oil levels. The motor had a 10qt oil pan, with an aftermarket chrome stick. the dipstick had a full mark where it only had 4-5 quarts(marked wrong). So, a couple of turns in a boat, and whalahhh....spun bearings.
Just my thoughts.....

If your motor has a stock oil pan, it should be 5 quarts with a new filter, plus maybe a half a quart to fill all the empty galleys of a new motor.
starskyknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starskyknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 8:42PM
Many thanks, I'll pass on this information.

Steven
merryknees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merryknees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 11:36PM
I am the friend in question. Hello all and thanks for having me.
A little more info on the subject-
74 Lincoln 460 [stock] purchased without a dipstick [never noticed it missingConfused]
I fitted the Lokar dipstick for the early 460 [tube through timing cover] but with 5 quarts of oil in the pan the dipstick JUST touches the oil. Instructions were to mark up the new dipstick using the old stock item [difficult if you haven`t got the damn thing]
Now if someone could maybe measure their stock 1974 460 dipstick [top to 1st mark and 2nd mark] I could then use this to rectify the problem.
After all IF the pan is aftermarket [unlikely] so long as I fill to the stock dipstick level all will be fine.
Thanks
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 5:11PM
Hiya merryknees...welcome aboard.  Gotta love anything Willys, although my first experience with one was in '84 with a '57 Willys 4WD pickup...I was 14, and I got that bugger stuck GOOD! Confused

But I digress...I've got a '74 460 out of an F-250 with a '73 LTD 5-quart oil pan on it (dang 6-quart 2WD truck pan wouldn't QUITE clear the front crossmember!) in my Torino.  If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to get you some dipstick measurements by Monday...I've got a BIG tractor show that I'm gonna be at off-and-on most of the weekend.

Later...
Pat
'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
 Post Reply Post Reply