The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sheet Metal for 72 GTS Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheet Metal for 72 GTS Restoration
    Posted: 21-November-2017 at 3:35AM
I am about to start a major renovation of my 72 2-Door GTS Fastback and I am going to have to replace several body panels that are rusted out in the usual places.  I need several body panels, including:
Driver side door (or door skin)
Passenger side door (or door skin)
Driver side front inner fender well
Passenger side front inner fender well
Driver side rear inner fender well

I understand that the inner fenders for all 72-79 intermediate Ford and Mercury will work. 

It would be great to get complete rust-free pieces, but I can make do with some rust/damage. 

Does anyone have these pieces or a lead you can give me for tracking them down?

My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2017 at 4:01PM
i have 2 pair of pretty decent doors and a drivers side 72 inner fenderwell
 from what i understand a 72 inner fender is different from the rest?

Edited by californiajohnny - 21-November-2017 at 4:05PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 11:05AM
the 72 inner fender brace is different may have changed sometime mid 73?
72 uses an L shaped bracket from the A post/cowl to the fender where the later style does not use a bracket and the mount bolt location is a little different. the inner fender may also be different in the same manner?
IIRC the later style has a tab sticking out off the side of the cowl / foot well area that takes a mount bolt to the inner fender?

I've also seen posted that guys say the core support has different bolt locations, again these would correspond to the inner fenders, not sure what years are affected

it'd be nice to get some permanent pics on the forum to show the differences Wink  

Edited by Rockatansky - 22-November-2017 at 11:12AM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 2:32PM
yes that's true about the fender mounting tabs!

BTW i also have a nice 72 passenger fender and a fair 72 core support Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 12:00AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

it'd be nice to get some permanent pics on the forum to show the differences Wink  

Yes this is the kind of reference material I want to get up on this forum. If someone gets me the photos I can do up a reference page.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
paj1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 1:48AM
Hi, John.  I am definitely interested in the doors and fender well. 

Can you tell me a little about them?  Any rust or damage?  Could you shoot some pics of them?  If so, let me know and I will give you my email address. 

I would be particularly interested in seeing the inside and outside of the lower corners of the doors.  that's were the worst of the problem is with mine.  It was an Iowa car for the first 20 years of its life and the road salt took it's toll...
My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
paj1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 1:51AM
Great idea!  I will be snapping a lot of pictures as the project moves along and I will try to remember to get pictures of each panel that has to be removed/replaced and get them to you.
My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 4:41AM
sure i'll PM you my # easiest to send pic from my cell

IIRC all the doors are just starting to form a bubble in the corners but not bad like most Ouch easily fixable! no dents or bondo!! very solid!  drivers inner fenderwell is great! passenger one is good except the battery area is rotted rest is fine though
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 5:02AM
just posted, shows the inner fender brace to A post bracket not found on '1974 style' cars. Johnny do you have pics in your project thread showing the engineering change? 
Originally posted by 1973torino429 1973torino429 wrote:

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 5:15AM
found 1 a little far away

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 6:42AM
Great pics guys.  I will start archiving these photos and make a new reference thread.  So if anyone has more, please share.
Actually it's pretty timely, since I plan to pull the front sheetmetal off my car while over the winter the engine is out.  This will help me since I have never done that on my Torino.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 7:32AM
start hosing the bolts with penetrant ASAP

the bolts that go upward from the bottom of the fenders are a Censored , not sure how / where you'd get spray onto the threads?

maybe drill a small hole for the spray straw to pass into the rocker?
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 12:07PM
 what i've done is start unscrewing the bolt a couple turns as it gets tight spray PB blaster on the exposed threads run it back up snug then start unscrewing it again till it gets tight respray run it back up... you can track a little into the threads that way Wink
 or heat the head of the bolt with a torch let the heat soak in for about 30 seconds then unscrew the bolt
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 12:33PM
yup i use that method too, actually beginning by tightening or at least check the bolt in the clockwise direction before trying to loosen it. using the bolt itself to run oil through to flush & lube the threads is a great idea
forcing a bolt you know is screwed before you start only ends one way Angry 
72 GT Ute

changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2017 at 9:18AM
Coincidentally, I'm currently taking apart a 74 cougar, so I'll take pics of the area right in front of the door, the inside of the front fender (inner and outer) and the radiator support. I also have a radiator support from a 73 GT, and a front outer fender from a 72 Montego, so I'll post those pics as soon as I get organized.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2017 at 11:04AM
TV2M80 just posted some pics showing the 74+ fender brace to cowl mount tabs,
hope you don't mind me volunteering your pics Beer

Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2017 at 3:03PM
Thanks for posting these Rock.  I am saving these and will create a post.  Anyone else who has photos, please post them here and like I said, I will create a post.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply