The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edelbrock camshaft 7168 for 351c

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konihof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock camshaft 7168 for 351c
    Posted: 22-November-2017 at 10:36PM
Hello,
i am Konrad from Germany and have one question.
I have a 1971 Ford Torino with an original 351c v2.
I would like to install a edelbrock camshaft 7168.
Can you do that with the Factory Cast Iron cylinder heads?

You need other valve springs and roller rocker arms?
Which one?
Which did you install with the edelbrock camshaft?
Do the original cylinder heads work with the camshaft?
Have somebody already done that?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 12:08AM
Welcome to the forum!! That cam has a fair bit of duration and lift. You would need to upgrade your valve springs to run that much lift. It will work fine with 2v heads otherwise. 

Tell us a bit more about your car. What upgrades have been done? Is the compression stock or have you increased it? What intake manifold, carburetor, exhaust, rear axle gearing do you have? What are your goals for the car? There is probably a better cam choice than this one.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
konihof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konihof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 4:59AM
Does anyone know which valve spring I should use? Order number would be helpful. Intake manifold 2750 edelbrock.
caburator holley Double pumpen 650. Two-pipe exhaust.compression is stock. I need only a Litle more power.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 1:17PM
Edelbrock recommends purchasing valve springs that will provide 120 lbs of seated pressure, 300 lbs of open pressure @ .500”lift, and will accomodate a valve lift of .588” from an appropriate valvetrain company, such as Crane or Pioneer.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/7000/7168.pdf
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 2:53PM
If you have a stock compression 351C-2V, I think that cam might be too much duration. 
Here is some good information here:

I think I'd go with something like comp cam XE262H. 

You can get it with a kit that includes all the new lifters, valves springs, and timing set which is part # K32-242-4

What is the rear axle ratio on your car?

Maybe Rockatansky will comment.  He is pretty knowledgeable.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2017 at 5:12PM

too much lift for a quick install, the heads will need to be checked for retainer to guide clearance!

and of course proper springs installed to recommended spec as mentioned

at first i thought the duration looked way too much also but see what George Pence has to say about Edelbrock 7168, " A little hotter than a ubiquitous 280° cam "

IMO it's pushing the limit on a stock torque converter and likely wants at least a 2000 stall ... but i'd be remiss if i didn't bring up the old ugly truth about factory Ford valves ... they're garbage, do not re-use them in a build or they ~ will ~ not a matter of when but they will separate the head from the stem and bust your engine to crap

replace the factory multi-groove valves with quality 1 piece, single groove stainless valves if you don't do anything else!

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-November-2017 at 6:48AM
72 GT Ute

tom72torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2017 at 5:27AM
Hello Konrad! Welcome to the forum!
We want to see pictures of your ride Big smileThe right choice of a camshaft is an art for a 2V ...
Mit anderen Worten, mit einer zu scharfen Nocke wirst du ohne weitere Modifikationen nicht glücklich werden.... Habe ich selber alles durch. Unterdruck zu gering, Kraft nur bei hohen Drehzahlen usw...
Wir haben ein schweres Auto...Ich nehme an du willst mehr dampf von unten?
Bist du auch im deutschen Torinoforum vertreten?
lg Thomas aus Ö.
Have a nice day!
Greetings from austria!
Thomas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2017 at 7:01AM
so others can follow along ...

" In other words, with too sharp a cam you will not be happy without further modifications .... I have everything through myself. Negative pressure too low, force only at high speeds, etc ...
We have a heavy car ... I suppose you want more steam from below?
Are you also represented in the German Torinoforum?
lg Thomas from Ö. "

my comment about the factory valves stands regardless of cam choice, even with a very mild economy cam the valves are a risk to the engine. from the link i posted up above,

" There are not one but two reasons for replacing the OEM factory valves. (1) The factory valves have brittle heads; they sometimes crack near where the heads are induction welded to the stems. Cracking leads to the valve head falling off the valve stem while the motor is running, and destructive damage occurs to the motor. (2) The valve springs are retained by loose fitting multi-groove valve spring locks which are not fit for performance usage "

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2017 at 2:25PM
Good call on the valves Rock.  Definitely a cheap investment in the long run.

Do you have any cam specific cam suggestions?  What do you think of the XE262? 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
tom72torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2017 at 1:50AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

so others can follow along ...

....I'm sorry, that was not disrespectful!Ouch
Back to topic......
Here is my cam card:

I am very satisfied with the camshaft! It's an Elgin. The exact name I do not know right now.
Have a nice day!
Greetings from austria!
Thomas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2017 at 6:55AM
no worries, sometimes it can be helpful to our friends from out of town :)
Originally posted by tom72torino tom72torino wrote:

I am very satisfied with the camshaft! It's an Elgin. The exact name I do not know right now.

that is Elgin E-907-P also called the 505 cam, it's origin goes back to Ford as a performance replacement and has been reproduced sometimes with slight variations in duration & valve timing over the years http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1174622162

what's standing out to me is the 114* Lobe Separation Angle (108 + 120 / 2 = 114) and 6* advance ground in for an Intake Center Line of 108*, 
in contrast to the XE262 which is on 110* LSA with 4* ground in for an ICL of 106*

concern with the narrower 110 LSA is that the cam will show a graph that drops off sharply rather than holding flat

also look at the different ramp speed of each cam, how fast the valves are being actuated. subtract the .050" lift number from the advertised duration, the 505 cam shows a whopping 91* and the XE262 shows 44/46 ... quite a difference! consider what this means for valve spring requirements and longevity

this is an excellent example as to what has happened in cam tech since the 505 was born, the SEMA effect if you will. engines with smaller intake port volumes respond very well to the velocity increase through the intake tract but in 'large volume runner for displacement' designs like the 351C-4V the application of the SEMA ramp rates can be hit / miss

for a mild 2V build using a highway gear, it looks pretty good. basic rpm starts 1400 rpm which does not indicate any need for a stall converter. some guys find that the fast open & closing of the valves with XE series lobes can be noisy, not in an even mechanical music way but just 1 or a couple ticking 

Edited by Rockatansky - 29-November-2017 at 6:57AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply