The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back fire then cuts off. HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jadu2275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back fire then cuts off. HELP!
    Posted: 10-December-2017 at 8:49AM
Good day. So I bought a 69 Torino about 3 years ago. The previous owner put in a Holley 650cfm on the stock 302 and an electronic ignition (Petronius distributor)
I’ve installed duals manifold back. Straight pipe, mufflers, tail pipe. No x/h pipe. I’m the last year I’ve had installed NEW alternator, starter, voltage regular, starter solenoid, ignition coil, plugs/wires and battery. Runs like a charm 65k original miles.

So few days ago, on the highway crusing at about 70mph a hear a loud bang, lost power momentarily, but then regained power nd kept going. 45 seconds later, same thing. Bang, loss of power/hesitation then car cut off...WHILE DRIVING! Pulled off to shoulder, turned off key. Waited about 20 seconds then turned key. Car cranked but nothing. Did it a couple times then she finally turned over. I went on my way about another 10 minutes at about 55mph with no issue. Parked car went inside.
Next day, come out, start car just fine as always. As it’s idling warming up, about 5 min in it cuts off. I get, turn key and same. Crank but no start. Did that a few times the. It finally started again. Drove Dow the road just fine, then out of no where with no warning, car cuts off. Pull over and restarted immediately. Went on my way.
So issue I’m having is the random loss of engine power. Literally cuts off wit no warning. Been starting right back up but I need to know what’s going on...

You’re thoughts??????
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 8:59AM
check all the connections regarding the install of the Pertronics and the rest of the ignition
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 9:37AM
yes it's a bad connection in the ignition system somewhere ? key, wiring,pick up unit in the dist.???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
qcode72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qcode72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 11:16AM
possibility of bad coil.like its overheating
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 1:09PM
i don't think it's the coil... he said it's started back up immediately, if it were the coil it would have to sit and cool down for several mins. (usually)
 with it idling... try wiggling the wiring if it cuts out and dies you may be getting close to finding it??
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 4:12PM
could even be the firewall bulkhead connections into the back of the fuse block

is there any type of ignition box like an MSD, Mallory or stock Ford module involved?

possibly the ignition switch. just rememberered, 69 has the old school dash mounted switch / not the down low on the column rod actuated thing. a heavy load of keys on the ring pulls on the switch guts 

Edited by Rockatansky - 10-December-2017 at 4:16PM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply