The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

headers!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: headers!!
    Posted: 12-February-2018 at 2:07PM
Anybody found any headers for a 1972 mercury montego that fit the 429? I'm looking to make my car sound a little healthier and haven't found anywhere that makes a nice set of headers.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 2:20PM
Postma98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 2:25PM
will those fit? ive been looking at those but a friend of mine said that they wouldn't fit his 460...just a speculation.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 2:34PM
I know that the hookers will fit. If you are going to install them with the engine in the car you might have to raise the engine up approximately an inch or an inch and a half on the drivers side to install them. Because the steering box is there in the way. Or you can remove the steering box to install them without raising the engine on the drivers side.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 3:30PM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

I know that the hookers will fit. If you are going to install them with the engine in the car you might have to raise the engine up approximately an inch or an inch and a half on the drivers side to install them. Because the steering box is there in the way. Or you can remove the steering box to install them without raising the engine on the drivers side.

X2^^. To allow the installation of the DS header easier and not have to remove the PS gear, I cut the pedestal off the block just below where the head meets the block just below #8 head bolt. As seen in this pic the pedestal has a step in it, I cut it at the first step and used a die grinder to smooth the area. The piece was about an inch wide 7/8" tall and about 7/8" thick. I did this with my BB installed and it allows a MUCH easier header install, with no adverse effects to the block since nothing mounts to this pedestal. Hope this helps.

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 3:42PM
The hooker headers come very close to the front brake lines where they are mounted to the car frame/chassis near the upper control arms. I had heard that someone had rerouted the brake line away from the headers to avoid heat. Another person had tilted his engine approximately one or two degrees up on the passenger side to avoid the header hitting the passenger side front brake line that was mounted to the frame/chassis near the upper control arm.

Edited by dave302 - 12-February-2018 at 3:42PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2018 at 8:48AM
are you sure a pair of mufflers wouldn't get you where you want to be?

headers are a PITA much less on a 429/460 in these cars, just MHO

there's a lot to be said for an exhaust system that doesn't blow gaskets regularly
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2018 at 9:23AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

The hooker headers come very close to the front brake lines where they are mounted to the car frame/chassis near the upper control arms. I had heard that someone had rerouted the brake line away from the headers to avoid heat. Another person had tilted his engine approximately one or two degrees up on the passenger side to avoid the header hitting the passenger side front brake line that was mounted to the frame/chassis near the upper control arm.

I had the same type of brake line to header clearance issue(never had an actual problem), I was a bit pro-active when I fabbed up a couple heat shields out of some 16ga sheet metal to protect the brake lines. IMO, The area that needs the most attention is the A/C evaporator case, just above the PS header. I also fabbed up a heat shield that protects the entire box where the evaporator resides and it also protects the PS footwell area. I melted my original evap case when I fired up my new engine on it's cam break-in period. Just a heads-up. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 3:22AM
try Crites, may have to use their motor mounts for fit  expensive paid $505.00
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 3:28AM
as always good advice ! the things you have done with your Chero , you could write a book on how to ! thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply