The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72/73 bucket seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72/73 bucket seats
    Posted: 16-February-2018 at 7:17AM
Hi...does anyone know if the frame for the 72/73 Torino buckets are the same as the 1969/1970 mustang Mach 1 high back buckets...? Look very similar in shape when the foam and covers are on....

Car was originally a bench seat that has had 1977 cougar buckets put into it (badly....!!) so while it's at the shop getting the floor pans fixed I'm thinking of getting new mounts welded in properly and putting either the correct Torino buckets or Mach 1 seats in

Like the idea of having the correct seats but also like the idea of the increased bolsters and side support of the mustang seats...car is going to be a restomod so I'm not concerned about every detail being absolutely correct but I do want to keep period correct

Have heard the mounting points to the car for the tracks are different...can anyone confirm this?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks guys

Greg
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2018 at 11:05AM
Torino/Montego seats are not the same as the mustang. They might be the same as the t bird 70/71. I'm sure another member can comment on that. Mustang and torino tracks are different too. Torino seats area larger in every dimension. I think Mustang seats from a 7173 I would look too small in the larger torino body. I would go with a modern mustang seat (05 up) much larger and would recline and much more bolster support and look great in a restomod.
Mach1000
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2018 at 11:51AM
Mustang tracks will not fit Torino floor.
I have heard that Torino tracks will mount to a mustang seat, but have not tried it.
+2 on using a reclining, modern seat, although I am using 73 buckets and they are a HUGE improvement over my old Flite-Bench seat.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2018 at 3:53PM
not sure on the 71-73 mustangs but i noticed my 68 has a hump that the seats mount to?
 i do have a set of torino bucket seat tracks....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2018 at 5:33PM
I hear what you guys are saying and have put quite a bit of thought into this....def want to keep it period correct and I've never liked the look of modern seats put into a classic car....

Torino buckets don't have enough side support for what I want to achieve...def want to go with the sport version of the Mach 1...now I just have to figure out how...

John....email me at original_furio@hotmail.com with what you want for the tracks etc...it's a start at least

Thanks
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2018 at 11:33AM
greg, i sent you an email
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 2:33AM
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 3:49AM
Originally posted by Compton Compton wrote:

I hear what you guys are saying and have put quite a bit of thought into this....def want to keep it period correct and I've never liked the look of modern seats put into a classic car....

Torino buckets don't have enough side support for what I want to achieve...def want to go with the sport version of the Mach 1...now I just have to figure out how...

John....email me at original_furio@hotmail.com with what you want for the tracks etc...it's a start at least

Thanks

My 73 is also a bit restomod... I like the original look of things, but don't mind modernizing the car a bit. 

Mine was also an original bench seat and I wanted to convert to nice buckets. Modern Mustang seats are made to look like vintage seats, and they do fit the look very nicely. I used a pair of 6 way power seats from a 2010 Mustang, and the pattern matched my back seat close enough that nobody really notices. You will have to make the tracks fit, but IMO it was totally worth it as they are super comfortable and now fully adjustable...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 7:31AM
That looks fantastic!!
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 10:39AM
As far as modern seats into an old car goes that's definitely the best looking conversion I've seen...what did you have to do to the tracks to make them work...?

Still think I want to go for the beefed up version of the 1969 Mach 1 seats but I'll have to do something similar with the tracks (or adapt the Torino tracks from John)

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 10:46AM
Originally posted by Compton Compton wrote:

As far as modern seats into an old car goes that's definitely the best looking conversion I've seen...what did you have to do to the tracks to make them work...?

Still think I want to go for the beefed up version of the 1969 Mach 1 seats but I'll have to do something similar with the tracks (or adapt the Torino tracks from John)

I cut the rivets off that attach the brackets to the tracks, and then just played with them till I had a combination that lined up with the floor holes, and then welded them to the tracks like that. If I had to do it again, I'd just make new brackets from scratch lol. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 12:40PM
Been thinking that would be the easiest way myself
 Post Reply Post Reply