The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where To Suspension Stuff For My 73 Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where To Suspension Stuff For My 73 Torino
    Posted: 18-April-2018 at 12:50PM
Hello,
So... I took my car back to the transmission shop thinking that they were transmission issues. When I drive the car over 50 55 miles per hour the front end shakes and I can even feel it in the steering. For whatever reason I thought the torque converter was possibly out of balance, or something transmission related. The tranny shop tells me today, that the suspension on my car is full garbage now including the steering! What's a good place that anyone would suggest out there to buy suspension parts for my car, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
DARE to be DIFFERENT!!
       73 GTS
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 1:21PM
I ordered everything from Rockauto. They had everything including the steering box. Everything fit like a glove. No issues
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 1:58PM
I am looking to do the same after having 25 years since I replaced my front end bushings(but only 5 years/15k miles on the road), may be going all MOOG and even though polygraphite looks to be great I do not to ride around squeaking/creaking as I go. I have heard Energy Suspension bushings are notorious for noise, if anyone runs the Polygraphite's AND they are quiet, by all means let me know. Mevotech makes some good looking upper ball joints(their rubber grease boots look superior to MOOGs) and the Powerforge brand ball joints look good as well.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 3:28PM
I used all Moog and Spicer parts that I ordered through a local parts store. They gave me a great price because of the bulk order. It also makes warranty issues easier to deal with if you buy from trusted locals.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 4:12PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I am looking to do the same after having 25 years since I replaced my front end bushings(but only 5 years/15k miles on the road), may be going all MOOG and even though polygraphite looks to be great I do not to ride around squeaking/creaking as I go. I have heard Energy Suspension bushings are notorious for noise, if anyone runs the Polygraphite's AND they are quiet, by all means let me know. Mevotech makes some good looking upper ball joints(their rubber grease boots look superior to MOOGs) and the Powerforge brand ball joints look good as well.

Polygraphite is definitely quiet, I've used them in many many cars. 

Just make sure you DON'T use urethane strut rod bushings. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 6:01PM
whatever you do, don't use poly bushings on the strut rods

Haha i just looked up ^^^^
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2018 at 1:28PM
You should check the balance on the front wheels/tires before you do anything. Make sure they are balanced and run true. If you take it to the right shop they would probably do it for free if you're having other work done by them, then you can cross that off the list if they are good. I also try to make sure I'm running a hub centric setup because I can never seem to get rid of the shakes in any car just relying on the lugs to center the wheel.  Next check to see if the front rotors are warped. I used to warp the stock Torino rotors with very little effort and that would cause a wobble the front end even without applying the brakes. Lastly, get the car on the lift and actually check all the bolts, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, and steering lash. Even if you plan on rebuilding things it's good to dial out as many issues before you dive into the project.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply